Repairing Lawn Chairs

Category Outdoor
Repairing Lawn Chairs
Often repairing a lawn chair is less expensive than buying new ones. This is a guide about repairing lawn chairs.

My lawn chair covers were suffering from sun rot and needed a lot of help. In one afternoon, I crafted four chair covers from some worn jeans I had on hand.

Approximate Time: One afternoon

Instructions:

1. Measure the dimensions of the top part of the chair and the bottom part of the chair. Cut the jeans to these dimensions for each chair needing a cover.
  2. The jeans I had weren't wide enough for the chair covers, so I had to piece them together to get the width I needed and sew together before cutting to fit.
  3. Sew the top part separately from the bottom, then sew a seam to connect the front part. The back will be open to allow you to slip the cover over the chair.
  4. Once attached, pin the back opening to secure onto the chair.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

My patio chairs are old and the plastic strapping on them has broken. When I look to see if I can replace them it seems to be hopeless. The straps seem embedded into the metal frame with no way of replacing them. Any ideas?

By Gloria Z from Chicago, IL

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

This may sound real trashy but it turned out well for me. I used duct tape!

I bought some brightly colored purple duct tape at WalMart. I laid out strips of the tape and stuck it to itself so I had a strip with no sticky sides left. I attached another piece of duct tape to the ends and wrapped it around the frame of the chair on one side and stuck it to the double thick pieces that I had prepared in advance.

I then wove it in and out of the remaining plastic straps that were left on my chair. At the other side of the chair, I attached another piece of duct tape, wrapped it around the frame and stuck it to itself on the underneath side.

I ended up with a purple and green chair which looks really neat! It's really durable, too. The duct tape sticks really well so it's not necessary to have any screws or fasteners.

My deck chairs are cloth with a small rope type tubing inlaid on each side. They are coming apart, but the chairs are still solid. Does anyone know how to redo them?

By Karen from Butler,PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I do know how to avoid this when things are new. Some Fabric paint on the back side painted over the stitches makes the stitches hold up longer. Also makes buttons sewn on your clothing last longer too..."A stitch in time saves nine, lol."

The easiest way to have new covers for your deck chairs are : 1) Buy new ones, or 2) Take them to an upholstery or auto seat cover shop to have them re-do them. BUT. With patience and a few sewing skills, you can re-cover them yourself. Just take the cushions apart and use the old pieces for your pattern. Be sure to purchase "outdoor" fabric so that it will last the longest, and get new cushion insides if they need it. Just noticing the cushion construction as you dismantled them for patterns will give you the guide to assembling the new ones. (If you get stuck check out the library for books on upholstery.) Be fearless and patient with yourself, you'll do a fine job. And remember that practice makes perfect--- the second one will be even easier.

If you know how to sew just make a pattern out of the covers including the piping, out of waterproof fabric, you can also add a zipper so you can take the covers on and off. Dianne

The chair is either thin steel or aluminum. The webbing is OK, but rivets are broken. Is it worth trying to repair? If so what is easiest way to remove rivets? Instead of new rivets are bolts recommended?

By Bewildered Bob

If this is an aluminum lawn chair with plastic webbing, it is NOT worth trying to repair. It is very, very old, and new, much better chairs, can be purchased new for about $10. If you search at yard sales, etc, you can likely get one for less. Just toss this old one.

I have seen where someone recycled old lawn chairs using macrame. Is there a pattern for this? If so, where can I get a copy?

By Pat

Where can we buy the nylon webbing or the lace up seats to repair folding aluminum lawn chairs?

By Chordbound from West Union, OH

Answers:

Repairing Lawn Chairs

Try this link for ordering the webbing you need.

vermontcountrystore.com (06/05/2009)

By Lorelei

Repairing Lawn Chairs

I have seen chairs repaired with a simple macrame cord. Here is a site I looked up and it has free instructions: kingskountry.com

You can do a search on Google and it brings up patterns to buy also. I typed, "macrame a lawn chair seat". Have fun! (06/06/2009)

By themuffster

Repairing Lawn Chairs

A long time ago I purchased it at K-Mart. Since those types of lawn chairs aren't as popular as they once were, it might be a little harder to find. But I would check out K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Target. (06/08/2009)

By Beth