Repairing Rust Spots on Car

Just washed our vehicle and noticed spots where it is starting to rust. Anyone have any ideas as to how to keep these spots from getting bigger? Thanks, and also thanks for all the other replies. Great to hear from you.

Gloria S.

Treating Auto Rust Spots

You could make the repairs your self but the rust will return in short order. What has to be done is all the rust and some abutting paint has to be sanded to bare metal, then a rust inhibitor applied, then primed and a top coat applied. If your car has a clear top coat then that has to be applied as well. To get a longer lasting repair it should be done at a body shop.

If you do it your self you will not be able to blend the paint and where you made the repair will show. The body shop will use a air spray gun and be able to blend the paint where you will be using a aerosol paint can and will not be able to do the needed blending. (04/05/2008)

By Dean

Treating Auto Rust Spots

Many years ago, when I discovered some rust spots on the trunk of my car, I went to the auto supply store and got some liquid metal. I painted it over the rust stain spots and it held until I sold the car several years later. I would think that this product would still be on the market, wouldn't you? It's worth a try to ask around, at any rate. Good luck and God bless you. (04/07/2008)

By tedsmom

Treating Auto Rust Spots

Years ago I worked in an auto body shop & had Navel Jelly (bought at an auto parts store) put over the hand sanded area of rust to prevent it from spreading. Just follow the directions on the bottle...IF a woman can do it surely a man can and it worked. Good luck! (04/07/2008)

By Paula Jo C. Mebane, NC

Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rusty bike leaning against a stone cottage wall.
Removing Rust from a Bike
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal