Repairing Scratches and Gouges on Hardwood Flooring

How can I repair hardwood floors that have a couple of scratch marks from moving furniture? My son and two friends rented a house and instead of using the protectors on the legs of couches, etc. before moving they happened to put a couple of scratches about four inches long.

They will be moving out soon and I want to repair the floor now, without doing the full sanding repair to the floor. Scratches are not deep and the floors are a light oak. I believe I heard once that shoe polish will help small areas. Any advice?

By Doris from Roanoke, VA

Answers:

Better to disguise the scratches. If it is really light wood, just try some mineral oil in the scratches to get them to blend in. Shoe polish would work if there is a very big difference in color between the scratch and the wood, even after the oil. (09/13/2010)

By pamphyila

Rub walnut meat into the scratches.
(09/16/2010)

By scar1949

Scratched Wood Floor
Repairing Scratches On Wood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄