Repairing Water Damage on a Hardwood Floor

There may be ways to restore a solid wood floor, but some laminates may have to be replaced. This guide is about repairing water damage on a hard wood floor.

February 1, 2016 Flag

We recently saw some black staining and possible rotten wood in a small corner area of our newly refinished wood floor. At first we thought it could be a leaking water pipe in the wall, but now we're wondering if it wasn't from cat urine. Our 11 yr. old cat who has never urinated anywhere except the litter box has recently wet on the small bathroom rugs a few times. The vet diagnosed a UTI and we've been giving the cat meds.

In the area of the black stains and dry, rough section on the wood floor, we have never seen any liquid and there is absolutely no cat urine smell. Even if the cat only urinated there once or twice, wouldn't it smell (since that smell is so strong and foul)? The only way to know if we have a leaking pipe will be to tear out a hole in the wall which will end up being an extensive repair. But if we can determine it was cat urine, then we would simply have the floor repaired. Does anyone know how we can determine if it is or is not a stain from cat urine?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use a black light - Urine stains glow and water would not. We got one to find where our cat had peed and it was a little appalling.

April 24, 2009 Flag

Today I found a large black wet stain under a plant on my hardwood oak floor. I had placed a bowl under the plant, but the water must have gone over the top of the bowl and has sat there for a few days.

I have cleaned and dried the water mark with dry cloths and removed some of the stain with a weak solution of bleach. Some of the black mark came up, but some turned green. My question now is, should I let the stain dry and try sanding it down or try another bleach treatment?

By Maggiej2 from State College, PA

To get it dry I suggest to use a thick cloth & the iron or a fan, then try to clean off the stain. You may have to sand it then varnish it, good luck.

Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsJune 25, 2013
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎄