Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing Water Damage on a Hardwood Floor

There may be ways to restore a solid wood floor, but some laminates may have to be replaced. This guide is about repairing water damage on a hard wood floor.

June 24, 2013 Flag

What can you do when a Swiffer Mop is left on your wooden floor and has left a dark stain? It hasn't been treated with a polyurethane coat since it was sanded down 7 or more years ago.

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2009 Flag

Today I found a large black wet stain under a plant on my hardwood oak floor. I had placed a bowl under the plant, but the water must have gone over the top of the bowl and has sat there for a few days.

I have cleaned and dried the water mark with dry cloths and removed some of the stain with a weak solution of bleach. Some of the black mark came up, but some turned green. My question now is, should I let the stain dry and try sanding it down or try another bleach treatment?

By Maggiej2 from State College, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get it dry I suggest to use a thick cloth & the iron or a fan, then try to clean off the stain. You may have to sand it then varnish it, good luck.

April 24, 2009 Flag

I left a slightly damp rug on my hardwood flooring. Now there is a stain there, and it took off some of the finish. What is the best way to repair this?

Kari from Michigan

Answers:

Moisture Damage on Hardwood Floor

Try applying some furniture polish to the discoloration, then wipe with a dry cloth. You might have to do several applications to eliminate the stain. I haven't any idea what color your floor is, but try and use a furniture polish that matches the shade of your hardwood flooring. (11/17/2007)

By MCW

Moisture Damage on Hardwood Floor

Old English Polish:
It comes in a light color and a dark color, depending on the shade you need. Works really good. I've used it on water spots, or trim on the house that has gotten scuffed or scratched. Good luck! (11/18/2007)

By Linda

Moisture Damage on a Hardwood Floor

If the mark is whitish or pale, the moisture has not gone into the wood itself, just the varnish. Use toothpaste. If the mark is dark or even black, the moisture is in the wood. The only way to get that stain out is to sand it down and pray the stain isn't deep! (03/10/2008)

By Brandy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsJune 25, 2013
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 12:03:25 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.