Repairing Water Damage to a Car's Interior

Category Cars
Car with major water damage to interior
Water leaking into your car can cause damage to carpets, seats, and other parts of the interior. This is a guide about repairing water damage to a car's interior.

My car had a leak and rain poured into my driver's side floorboard. I fixed the leaky problem. How do I get rid of the wetness on my floorboard carpet to prevent mold? Also, how do I make it odor free and fresh smelling once I get the water completely removed?

By Ace from Nashville, TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

My car had a leak on the passengers side. When it rained I would end up with several inches of water on the floor. I vacuumed up as much a I could with a wet or dry vacuum cleaner then wiped the carpet with a towel to pick up some more moisture. Then left the windows open to let the carpet dry. After several wet clean up jobs I had the leak fixed. Never had any odor or mold problems.

Best Answer

Take a solution of household hydrogen peroxide and water 50/50 to scrub the carpet with a brush. You will not have to use a lot of water here. The purpose is to get the peroxide into the fabric. Then go to car wash and use the vacuum to pull water out really well. I would let it sit for at least 20 minutes. You might have to repeat procedure. The peroxide will kill the mold and spores. It is even used on plants for the same thing. Finish air drying the car or even place a fan on it to speed it up. That carpet has a thick pad under it. After it is dried out, if the car smells musty, you might place a ceramic bowl full of ammonia on the floor board with the windows up overnight. The gasses of the ammonia go into the fabric and kill orders very well. Also works good to remove smoke smells from a car.

Water changed the color of the wood on the car door panel. How can I fix this? Please help.

If it's actual wood, you could try lightly sanding and restraining it. You would want to get the wood panel removed from the door to do this. If it's not stainable you could remove it and paint it.

I would call around to junk yards and see if anyone has the same car with a door in better shape, then you could replace it.