Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing a Crack in a Plastic Tub or Shower

When you are not able to replace a damaged tub or shower a repair to the cracked area may be a solution. This is a guide about repairing a crack in a plastic tub or shower.

September 1, 2009 Flag

There's no way to afford a new tub right now. Does anyone know how to repair a plastic bathtub? I have a garden tub and the seat is cracked to the point that unless I keep duct tape (the only thing to stay on more than a few days so far) over the crack, the tub leaks horribly. Thanks in advance.

By shosha from Berrien Springs, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think thats how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do.

Best Answer

You could try a epoxy adhesive. They are water proof. The best are two part adhesives. They are available at Home Depot and Lowes. You will find them in the paint section. read and follow directions.

Best Answer

It depends on how big the crack is. One option (if it is a small crack) is model glue (found in the model toy section at box stores). This works by melding the plastic together.

If there are chunks missing out of it, there are a few options. Epoxy (already mentioned), water-proof caulk, and I also think there is a JB weld for plastics (found in most Ace Hardware stores).

Best Answer

Try going to a bathtub sales store and explain your predicament to them. They don't bite! They will tell you what to use and how to do it. Lowes and Home Hardware will probably be your best bets. Good luck. Take a picture, if possible.

Just about any auto parts store will have the fiberglass repair kit and I think it's probably your only option at this time.

If it is ABS or other solvent reactive plastic, check out the products on this website www.plasti-mend.com. They work very well. They will even fill in the holes. You can contact them with any questions.

April 7, 2015 Flag

How can I fix the crack for good?

By Martin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I keep seeing TV ads for something called Flex-Shot, which they claim seals even very large holes and lasts at least 30 years. While I have not tried it myself, it sounds like it might work for your problem. You could Google it to see where to buy it. They also make a similar product called Flex-Seal for lighter applications. Both are sprays that dry as solid rubber, and are used to repair many rubber and plastic objects.

December 19, 2013 Flag

Is there a product that can be painted or rolled on to seal the cracks?

By Terry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bonding... it's not a pretty fix, but it'll fix it

Hi - yes, there is. We had a bad crack in our showerpan, but because we just have a crawl-space under that bathroom that no one ever goes in, we were unaware of the damage. The water had leaked through and caused the floor joists to rot. My husband called a plumber, who 'painted on' this bubble-gum pink stuff that sealed the shower floor, giving us time to save up the money for the expensive repair to re-tile the shower floor. I bet a big-box home improvement store would have a permanent fix (and something not so pink!)

March 5, 2013 Flag

I really can't tell if it's cracked or not. I have tried looking with a flashlight but no luck. So far the fix is to line the walls and floor or rip it out, but if it isn't really cracked why do it?

By MLO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It does sound as though you have a leak somewhere in that stall. You may want to check seams first as you may find your leak is the caulked join where the pan meets the side-walls.

If it's not the seams, you could try 'mapping' the leaking pan by pouring a pitcher full of Kool-Aid or food colouring tinted water on the pan and looking for darker lines appearing on the pan floor as the tinted fluid seeps through the cracks.

I found a cracked pan that way by accident years ago when I tried to dye a pan by staining it deliberately with a pitcher of food colouring tinted water. It did give a lovely colour to the pan but those dark lines appeared and my then husband said 'Holy moly, that pan is cracked and probably has been for years!' We ended up having to replace not only the entire shower stall but most of the bathroom sub-flooring because oh yes, that leak had been at work for a very long time!

Using the 'mapping' method may cause staining so be sure you are willing to put up with that if you can't get the staining off. Bon Ami should get the colour off without scratching the pan surface but that's not guaranteed so be sure to use a complementary colour in case you're stuck with it.

November 4, 2010 Flag

I need to know how and what type of material/compound, etc. to use when repairing a plastic material type shower. The bottom needs repair and I don't know what material or compound to use.

I don't want to discard the whole shower just because the bottom needs to be fixed. It's not fiberglass, but plastic, so I was told. Just by looking I can't tell. I do want to fix it so it will appear nice and clean and neat. The rest of the shower looks like brand new. This is in a double wide home.

Thanks for your help.

By Davy from Newport NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 4, 2010 Flag

How do you repair a cracked shower stall floor?

Sharon from Coeur d'Alene, ID

Answers:

Rquest: Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

I have a crack on the floor of an inexpensive plastic shower stall in my basement. The crack is round in shape and about an inch in diameter, and I think it resulted from a heavy shampoo bottle that fell and hit the floor just hard enough to make a crack. I have tried to repair this with Goop glue, which lasted for a while, but as soon as I cleaned the floor with a harsh cleaner, the Goop pulled away from the plastic. I have been tempted to try Marine Goop, which I heard is a different formula from regular household Goop, but I don't know if this is true. Or, should I use epoxy?

I am open to any advice and suggestions, but whatever I use needs to withstand exposure to water from the shower head. Also, I don't care so much about how the repair looks, but I'd like it to be a permanent fix. Please help! Thank you!

Tori from Pittsburgh PA

Answers:

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

I had a bath tub crack on me when I was renting a mobile home. Landlord was out of town, I had 4 kids that needed bathing, so I patched it with Bondo. I think that's how it's spelled (it's been a long time ago). Anyway, it's the same thing they use to patch fiber glass car bodies. It took the landlord over a month to find another tub to replace mine. We would have been one smelly crew. (06/15/2007)

By duckie43

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions, but unfortunately, my shower stall is definitely plastic and not fiberglass. So, if anybody has a suggestion for plastic, please post it for me. Also, this is not the main bathroom in the house, so I can avoid using this shower for as long as it would take for an adhesive or glue, etc. to cure. Thanks again!
(06/16/2007)

By Tori in Pittsburgh, PA

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Try Vulcum. I use this to repair leaky roofs. I think 'vulcum' might be a name brand, but go to Lowe's or Home Depot and ask somebody there. It stays flexible when it dries, and it's paintable after a few days. It comes in a tube that needs to be applied with a caulk gun. (06/23/2007)

By Lisa

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Look on your RV websites, they have repair kits for plastic showers (one is by SYON), there's one for fiberglass as well. Good Luck. (03/28/2008)

By Lisha

Repair a Crack on Plastic Shower Floor

Home Depot and Lowe's sell an epoxy plastic patch and a special tape just for cracks in plastic tub floors. Yes! There is someone out there who gets that it's plastic. (04/25/2008)

By Wendall

(12/11/2008)

By Kezia_admin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a landlord I have been in this situation more than once. You are better off to replace. Even if you think you have it repaired, small amounts of water often work their way thru resulting in mold which can be very costly to remove and more damages as a result. You can get a standard size shower pan for under $$100

September 1, 2009 Flag

I have a mobile home and the bathtub edge has cracked over the years and has big pieces out of it. I don't know what the material is, but I need to repair it until I can afford to replace the tub with a shower surround. I have duct taped it, but that is only a stop gap. Anybody got any ideas? It's kind of like a plastic type material, very cheesy.

Linda from Adirondack Mtns, NY

Answers:

Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

There is a site called mobilehomerepair.com. There is some great information on how to fix just about anything that has to do with mobile homes. Just Google it and check out their forums.

By falldowngobump

Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think that's how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do. (07/01/2008)

By duckie43

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomMarch 17, 2016
repair fiberglass
Repairing a Fiberglass Tub or Shower
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 8:54:55 AM on 10.0.2.112 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.