Repairing a Cracked iPhone Back

Category Cellphones
Cracked iPhone Back
Cell phones take a lot of abuse, including the occasional dropping. Eventually, if not on the first dive for the floor, the back of the case can crack. Repairs can be made in lieu of purchasing a new phone. This is a guide about repairing a cracked iPhone back.

Replacing an iPhone4s back is super simple and a whole lot cheaper than getting a new phone. All you need are a few tools and a replacement back that can be purchased fairly inexpensively.

I have to admit I have dropped my iPhone a lot, so far only resulting in a few scratches. Last night my phone had enough of my abuse, and it's entire back shattered. There were tiny slivers of glass coming off every time I touched it, so I slapped on a piece of duct tape and started researching my options.

My contract was almost up so I could have gotten a new phone, but I thought that was a little silly since the phone was still working fine otherwise. I found a website that sold a new back and had instructions. Luckily for me, the back is super easy to replace and not too expensive.

I purchased a new back from, www.ifixit.com, and followed their instructions on how replace it. In this how to article, I walk you through my replacement procedure with a few additions that weren't mentioned on iFixit.

• 1 iPhone 4S rear glass panel ($15 - 50)
  • 1 iPhone 4/4S Liberation Kit ($5-10)

All of these parts can be purchased on the iFixit website. Here is a link to the iPhone4s parts: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4S
I bought the more expensive Apple part that made it so my phone looked new, but they also sell a cheaper transparent back that would make it so you saw all the guts of the phone, which I have to admit is pretty awesome and kind of wish I would have gotten instead.

Since purchasing these from iFixit I have also found that eBay sells iPhone backs as well so you may want to look on eBay first.

1. Start by having a clean surface to work on and bowl to place the screws in.
  2. Remove the 2 screws from the bottom of phone. Slide the backing up and off.
  3. There are two pieces of plastic that need to be removed from the inside of the new back. One over the camera hole and another over the large black piece.
  4. Ad
  5. Place the new cover onto the phone slightly off center and slide it into place.
  6. It's recommended to change the screws since they can be easily stripped. These came in the liberation kit. Carefully tighten the screws in place.
  7. Ad