Repairing a Fiberglass Tub or Shower

Category Bathroom
repair fiberglass
The brittle texture of this material can crack and wear over time. There are ways to patch and smooth fiberglass to extend its usefulness. This is a guide about repairing a fiberglass tub or shower.

What can I use to fix a crack in a fiberglass shower stall?

By Eileen

Best Answer

Don't use caulk and definitively don't try a glassing job if you have no experience. You'll have one fine mess!

I repair fiberglass tubs, showers, whirlpools, etc. for a living full time for the last ten years. Have a pro look at it and advise you on the scope of the situation (to see if repairable). Even fairly badly damaged units can be repaired as good if not much better than new for a FRACTION of the cost of replacement.

I fix blown out and or spongy soft floors at least once a week. It's usually a 5 to 8 hour job depending on several variables that may or may not be existing like voids, delaminations, bad sub floor, cracks, excessive space under unit, etc.

If you are dealing with an honest and reputable repair service they will give you the "real deal" on what can be done and your options. For this you would likely be charged a nominal trip charge or an inspection/consulting fee if the tech deems it not feasible to make a repair or the home owner does not want to schedule for repairs to be made.

Be warned it is a very dusty and noxious process. Also be sure to use a service that has at least 5 years experience and one that IS NOT a franchise company - Preferably an experienced AUTHORIZED warranty repair service for a reputable manufacturer like Lasco, Maax, Jacuzzi, etc.

Any of the manufacturer's can get you info on local repair services.

The cost of a complete and properly done "professional" floor job can range anywhere from 200 to 700 dollar's around these parts. But again, that is way cheaper than replacing!

The pic is not of a damaged or repaired floor - easily seen is the damage on the wall. (the floor could use a good cleaning and buff not to mention a few chip repairs) I make ugly stuff like this go away - economically - completely - forever!

On a side note: I am in the process of making and marketing a "miracle" fiberglass cleaning product that easily removes soap scum, stains, and scuffs from fiberglass. MUCH easier and more economical than any product you can presently buy. I've extensively researched it and am going to unleash the product to the public in about two more months! Will I make millions? Possibly - I sure hope so. It IS a superior product and different than any other presently available - We'll see!

Best Answer

You can get a fiberglass repair kit from the hardware store. I fixed a big hole in my tub at one time, which held until we were able to replace the tub years later. It will be a noticeable repair, but will make the shower fully functional.

I have a fiberglass tub that is pitted and hard to keep clean. The tub was like this when I moved in. I don't know how old it is. I've tried everything short of filling tub with water and adding bleach. Will it be beneficial to refinish it?

Amie from MI

Best Answer

If you refinish it, bear in mind that it must set a few days before using again (ask how many days) and that it must be cleaned with something that won't scratch as the new finish is very delicate.

How do I repair scratches on a fiberglass tub?

By fielding from Camilla, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try Armor-All, you can get it in the automotive section of any discount store. This was recommended on the 'care' sheet of my new sink, which is also fiberglass. It works great!

I wanted to know if I use the waterproof Gorilla Glue for construction would this work to repair the crack in the shower pan or should I carry it back to Lowe's? That's what they told me would work. The crack is about 2-3 in long and is leaking.

Answers

If it is under warranty I would return it to the store.

That sounds like a pretty temporary fix to me. It may keep it from leaking for a while. I think the long term fix would be using a kit like this:

https://www.ama  nt/dp/B000BO9NOO

Obviously a lot more work involved and if you go this route, you will want to have proper equipment to avoid breathing in any fiberglass dust as you are sanding.

I know that will work on fiberglass but how about just plastic

Since fiberglass and acrylic are so similar, I just wondered how you determined yours to be plastic? Still, most of the products recommended for fiberglass will also work on acrylic (but maybe not all).

I think you are referring to returning the Gorilla glue - not the shower pan? You may have some other use for this very good glue but it may not be useful on a crack this size.

Have you discussed this with a plumbing shop or even ACE Hardware to see what they might suggest? (Other than replacing your shower.)

Bondo makes a very good kit for this purpose and it may last longer. (You may have to order it on line. Bondo's tub/shower repair kit)

Here are some links that may give you some ideas:

https://www.the  compound-1821370

http://www.doit  your-shower-base

I have a new tub and surround and have a few scratches from my puppy. How can I get these scratches out?

There are kits on the market for this. From SFGate Homeguides: Fill deep cracks with the filler included in your repair kit. Use a small rubber scraper to apply the filler and smooth it down so that it is flush with the surface of the tub. Allow the filler dry for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Give it extra time to dry if the day is damp or rainy.

Try this stuff:

https://www.bed  du3HERoCNwvw_wcB

Anonymous

What is it made of? Some can be buffed out, others require fillers. Tubs and surrounds come in fiberglass, porcelain, plastic and other polymers, what it is made of determines how to get rid of the scratches.

How do you repair a fiberglass shower floor? It has a hairline crack approximately 3 inches in length.

By Daryl

Is it possible to fix a crack on the floor of a fiberglass shower stall? It feels soft underneath the crack.

Bill from Lancaster, CA

Answers:

Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

It should be possible, but how long has the floor been soft. If it was previously solid then there is a chance that water getting through the crack has damaged (rotted the wood) your sub flooring. If your sub flooring is damaged then you will probably need to get a carpenter to come in and put new sub flooring in, and then replace the shower stall.

If not previously solid then it maybe possible to use a good silicon caulk (bathroom or exterior use) to seal it.

(07/20/2007)

By Ken

Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

Go to a auto parts store and get a fiberglass kit it should be about $20.00. I have heard of repair men using this.
(07/20/2007)

By Liz

Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

I have repaired fiberglass tubs, showers, whirlpools, etc. for a living full time for the last ten years. Have a pro look at it and advise you on the scope of the situation (to see if repairable). Even fairly badly damaged units can be repaired as good if not much better than new for a fraction of the cost of replacement.

Be warned it is a very dusty and noxious process. Also, be sure to use a service that has at least 5 years experience and one that is not a franchise company. Choose one that is, preferably an experienced authorized warranty repair service for a reputable manufacturer like Lasco, Maax, Jacuzzi, etc. Any of the manufacturers can get you info on local repair services.

The cost of a complete and properly done "professional" floor job can range anywhere from 200 to 700 dollars around these parts. But again, that is way cheaper than replacing!

The pic is not of a damaged or repaired floor, easily seen is the damage on the wall. (the floor could use a good cleaning and buff not to mention a few chip repairs). I make ugly stuff like this go away economically, completely, and forever!

On a side note: I am in the process of making and marketing a "miracle" fiberglass cleaning product that easily removes soap scum, stains, and scuffs from fiberglass. Much easier and more economical than any product you can presently buy. I've extensively researched it and am going to unleash the product to the public in about two more months. Will I make millions? Possibly, I sure hope so. It is a superior product and different than any other presently available. We'll see. (09/23/2009)

By Thetubguyswi

RE: Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

I think you can repair fibre glass with all purpose resin and matting. (09/26/2009)

By Dorty