Repairing a Leather Couch

Category Sofas
Your beautiful leather couch is starting to show its age, with worn spots, wrinkles, and more. Before you go buy a new one, consider repairing and rejuvenating it yourself. This is a guide about repairing a leather couch.

Faded
Leather Couch

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Repairing faded spots on your leather couch may be difficult. Check out some possible solutions on this page. This is a guide about fixing a faded leather couch.

Close up of nubuck leather with scratch marks

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about repairing scratches on leather furniture. Pets, children, and normal usage can result in scratches on your leather furniture.

Close up of an old brown leather couch.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about repairing wear on a leather couch. Regular maintenance will help extend the life of upholstery covering your sofa.

You CAN do minor repairs on leather and faux leather goods, especially if you have the stitching holes already - just re-sew with thread (doubled or heavy duty) by hand.

I ALSO replaced a missing magnetic latch on a lovely teal thrift store backpack bag (Espirit) I got for $1 - by putting black self-stick Velcro on the flat round part of the magnetic clasp that was left on the bag, and a corresponding strip on the latch, which I secured with some stitching.

It's lovely now and for a total outlay of $2 (with lots of Velcro left over.)

By Pam from L.A., CA

All right Pam, I also find great bargains at the thrift shops. I sew, so it is no problem to do minor repairs on items. My friends won't shop at the thrift stores. They say that it is beneath them, but they always love my clothes. Loretta (North of L.A., C.A.)

How can I fix this? It's cracked and wrinkly and I don't know what to do?

Since leather is and was living tissue, it does well if you 'feed' it, such as with special leather oil, shoe polish, or even plain old olive oil. It is, however, always a good idea to contact the manufacturer to see if they have specific advice or a product they recommend.

Buy leather conditioner at any shoe shop. Apply twice a year.

Please help. I found a video on how to fix this, but can't find any Leather Studio paint. Any other suggestions? What can I do to stop all this peeling, how can I fix what's already peeled off?

I don't believe this is actually leather, because it is peeling in the way that cheap faux leather peels. This is bonded leather, which is the plywood version of leather - cheap bits of leather bonded in glue. It is almost designed to fall apart.

THis site provides some resources: https://www.rub  d-leather-blues/

A better idea is to find a nice throw to put over it.

My leather sofa looks so horrible. I hate it. It has two seat cushions and two back cushions (attached to the sofa) and the back cushions just sag into two big lumps when you sit down and the seat cushions are like a pile of wrinkles. When I sit down, the seat cushions slide out and drive me crazy. Should I just get a new sofa or can I fix this? Help!

By R.L.H

It sounds like this couch gave it's all for you and the others who used it. Time to get a new one. Thrift shops are a great place to look, so just keep that in mind.

PBP

When my Mom needed her sofa fixed. We fund a lady throwing an old (but clean) sofa away. We took the filling out of the seat and back of the couch. My Moms couch had zippers in the back of her cushions so it was easy to unzip, fill fluff and rezip. If your sofa doesn't have zippers you have to cut the cushion or back cushion open in a unconspicuous place. The opening has to be big enougn to get your arm inside to spread and evenly distribute the fiberfil. After the cushions are stuffed use button thread and a curved needle to sew the place,you cut open, closed.My Moms sofs looked like a brand new one wen I finished. I did overstuff somewhat because I knew the cushions would smoosh somewhat as we sat on them.

I had Resolve spill on my leather couch and the color came off. Is there a product that can help me?

By Jill

You might try shoe polish. I had a brown leather couch that got some scratches and I put a coat of close-to-the-color shoe polish on them-looked good!

My husband and I just bought a really beat up leather chair and ottoman hoping we could rehab it.

We used dark brown shoe polish on it and it looks fabulous! There were even places that the surface of the leather was rough and light colored and it took the polish. We only paid $60.00 and it looks like we paid hundreds! Finished over polish with conditioner. So far so good!

Doesn't the shoe polish come off on your clothes and skin when you sit down?