Repairing a Leather Seam

Category Other
Edge of a brown leather couch
Repairing a leather seam on furniture or other items can seem difficult. This is a guide about repairing a leather seam.

The seam on my sofa, on the seat has come undone. It needs stitching from the inside, but I am not sure how to get in without causing more damage. I need to stitch it back up through the existing stitch holes. If anyone has any ideas, I would be happy to try them. Thank you.

By Robred from Doncaster, UK

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would use a good strong thread, like quilting thread or even fishing line, and begin at the end closest to the front of the cushion. Use a stitch like a cobbler uses on shoe seams, so that thread is on both sides of the seam.I recommend doing small sections at a time, coming from underneath the cushion, that way if one small section comes undone, the whole seam doesn't come out.

Work your say up to the top of the seam until there is no more room to work underneath, then tack the remaining seam as neatly and unobtrusively as you can, there may be a small "bump" at the end, but it's better than an open seam

Good luck!

Actually, you will need something attached by glue to the underside so when there is stress on the cushion it won't be ripped by the thread. If the cushion comes out take it to a car body shop. They can rapair it. There are also car seat repairers who will come to your location to fix your car seats, they might come to fix your sofa.

It looks like the cushion does not come out, so if I were doing this I would invest in an upholstery needle (this is a rather large curved needle) and some extra heavy thread. Both of these items will surely be available at your local fabric store or wherever you usually purchase sewing items. Apply some twill tape to the underside of the area that needs to be stitched with fabric glue, letting it dry well before doing the stitching.

Be sure to have the twill tape long enough to cover a few of the stitches that are still intact and pull the existing thread between the glue and the leather, so that the thread will not work loose before you do your stitching. Use doubled thread to stitch the area, beginning at the front of the couch so that your double knot in the thread is placed underneath the leather. This will leave the necessity of having the knot in back on the outside of the stitching.

Over stitch at least three existing stitches at the beginning and again at the end for strength. Carefully make your double knot at the end, drawing it taught. This sounds like a long drawn-out procedure, but is necessary for a lasting 'fix', and one you will be proud of.

I have an imitation leather couch. The thread on the seams is very dry and has turned a very light color, almost white. How do I get them dark again?

By DJ

I had a similar problem with a brown fake leather chair. I tried to clean the thread but it was difficult and I could not remove most of the stains. I tried two other methods but they failed also.

I was thinking about just giving the chair to Salvation Army but tried one last fix. I finally decided to use Sharpies (could also use wood furniture scratch filler) to match the thread (in my case dark brown). This worked but need to be very careful not to mark the leather, etc. May need to remark the threads again in the future but, for now, the chair is much nicer.

How do I repair torn seams on a leather furniture suite?

By Helen from Inverness highland