Repairing a MTD Riding Mower

Category Lawn Mowers
Many things can go wrong with your riding mower. If you can diagnose the problem and are handy, you can make many of the repairs yourself. This is a guide about repairing a MTD riding mower.

My 14 hp. MTD riding lawn mower will only start with a charger attached at 75 amp jump start setting even with a new fully charged battery. How do I know if it is the solenoid or the starter? I do hear a single click noise each time I turn the key. The starter is warm after trying a few times which lends me to believe it is the starter. Thanks for any suggestions.

The MTD company has a troubleshooting page for all their products: http://www.mtdp  t_10500_20500_-1

My MTD 660 (about 10 years old) stalls when making a left turn. I've looked for rubbed wires, been over the steering column and linkages, and checked the safeties. I weigh almost 300 lbs, so the seat switch isn't the problem. I've never run into something like this! Recommendations?

I had that problem once with a car. It was the carburetor.

The engine starts with no problem, but begins to surge, RPMs up and down. Why?

You might need to clean its carbs

How do I change the PTO cable on my MTD riding mower, and how do I get the cover thing completely off from under the seat? I took out the four screws that I could see and the one under the foot rest area. But, it still won't come off. Of course I disconnected the battery and took it out.

I found out that there are two screws under the big sticker in the middle of the floorboard thing that is in between the seat and the steering wheel. I took them out and was able to change the PTO cable. It's still a b#tch to get the spring off and back on from under the left side of the seat.

I have an MTD 42a707 18.5 hp riding lawnmower. The engine turns over plenty fast, it is getting gas, and has new spark plugs, but is not getting a spark. Does that model have a coil?

By Craig from Zimmerman, MN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If you're not starting and the plug is firing good, it's likely the "anti-backfire valve" has taken a dump. It screws into the bottom of the carb and has a couple of wires on a plug attached. Remove and replace.

I needed to replace the ignition switch on my Bolens riding mower. I never had a picture of which wires went to which tabs on the back of the ignition so now I don't know which wire goes where. Please help. It is a 13WC762065 Bolens lawn tractor by MTD.

My right back tire is flat, I took off the screw, but can't pull off the tire. Is it supposed to come off from the front of the wheel? In other words are the things that look like washers just frozen because of rust? Or does it pull off from the back of the tire?

By Linda W. from Salt Lake City, UT

Anonymous

Don't think that has a snap ring if not lots of pb blaster and I hooks an good size puller

My Lawn Boy MTD 13AO672G120 suddenly shifted into the fastest gear. It made for an exciting ride back through the woods on trails, but I can't get it out of that gear. It starts fine, but even in reverse, goes shooting out of the garage in the fastest gear. Any ideas on a fix? The brakes don't slow it down. The brake spring was gone, but I replaced it with no results.

I have a Yard Machine riding lawnmower (Model # 13A176F729). I just purchased it used. I believe I'm having an intermittent problem with the PTO belt. I get the "vacuum noise" when the mower is cutting. About 30 seconds later, that noise disappears, and the mower stops cutting. The mower still moves, but it won't cut. Then, I get the noise and it cuts. A few seconds later, the noise goes away, and the mower won't cut.

Do I need to replace a belt or two?

The drive pulley on my MTD riding lawn mower broke. I removed the bolt that holds it on. Do I have to have a "puller" to remove the pulley or just will power and a hammer?

R.Wilson from Emmett, ID

Look for a product called, "Fluid Film" at hardware or farm store. It's based on lanolin/wool wax, and is the best stuff I've ever found for getting really difficult parts to release. Give it about 15 minutes to work after application, and you should have a lot better luck removing the part. A puller would be nice, but two pieces of hardwood will generally work, too.

My MTD ride on mower will start and drive with no problem, but as soon as I lower the blade to cut the grass the fuse blows causing the mower to cut out. Has anyone any idea why this is happening?

By Richie

You're belts under the lawn mower are to tight or to loose or the spindle is lose they must be bolt drive tight.

How do you check the electric clutch on a MTD riding mower? Mine seems to have a lot of free play. Is this normal?

By Kevin P.

I have a 42" 7 speed MTD Gold riding mower with a 19 hp Kohler engine. I can not get it to start. I have checked the fuel filter, replaced the battery and the spark plug and cleaned the carberator. When I hit it with some starter fluid, it cranks but just falls dead, then won't start again. The last time is did start was last summer. My son tried to jump it, but inverted the positive and the negative cables. Any ideas?

By Duane C

I've got an older MTD Yard Machine 17 and a half horsepower, 46 inch cut. I need to know how to put the belt on the deck. It has three blades and I cannot figure out how to intertwined the belt through all the pulleys. I need a diagram.

By Scott from JC, MO

I have a 18hp MTD mower that won't turn over. I've replace the starter switch, starter solenoid, and safety switch, as well as replaced the 7.5 amp fuse. Any ideas?

Chuck G. from CA

I was having the same problem. It turns out that a piece of cord was wrapped so tightly around the blade shaft that it was frozen there. Cutting wet grass has jammed my blade also.

Where is the gizmo on my 16.5 MTD riding mower (15 yrs old about) that will let me push it out of gear. It is stuck in a field and won't start up so. I need to push it. Thank you very much.

By Peter

My garden tractor blows the fuse only when I turn it off.

By Kent W

I have replaced the belts, but the tractor still will not move. Could it be the transmission?

By Tim B.

My MTD model Briggs & Stratton engine 42A707 (700) won't start but keeps spinning. It stops running and will not run again. I replaced the fuel filter, drained off the fuel, and replaced the Magnetron unit. I have also replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the air filter. The choke opened and closed nicely, suddenly it cranked and started for 5 seconds and went dead. It still cranks but just won't start. The battery is new. I noticed that I can crank the engine when I have the gear in forward or reverse without pressing the clutch. Any idea what happen here? Please help, thanks!

By pengteo from Redmond, WA

I recommend that you have the mower serviced by a qualified mech. It sounds like you have an electrical issue in the safety switches.

I am looking for a wiring harness for a 1997 MTD Power Pro lawnmower, model number - 13al452f120.

By Gary from Gadsden, AL

I went to mtdproducts.com put in your part number 13AL452F120 and the return answer was no such part number. Why not call MTD at 1-800-269-6215.

How do I adjust the belts so that my gears are all useable? I have a MTD.

By Elli from Nanango

My MTD riding mower keeps throwing the rear drive belt. It is a 14hp, 38 inch cut. It is fine on level ground, but seems to throw the belt on a decline or when turning on an uneven area. I replaced both drive belts in April and started having this problem in early June.

By Tom O.

How do I install a deck engagement cable on my MTD mower?

By seege

I have a Yard Machine MTD Special Edition, 18 HP Briggs and Stratton. I have installed a new battery, solenoid, and new battery cables. I checked all of the safety switches. When I try to start the engine with the key I get a chatter from the solenoid. I have started the engine by using a battery with jumping cables. What could be wrong?

By Bruce from Marion, IN

I have a MTD lawn tractor 600series, 42in. It suddenly stoped moving. The engine is still running and the deck is running fine, but the car won't move forward and backward. I checked the gear, it appears to be attached to transaxle just fine. I also checked on the R.H spring part and it appears to be fine. Can anyone help? Do you think the transaxle (part number 618-0163) is done? Thanks.

By pengteo from Redmond

Both bearings blew out on the double pulley above the deck on my 1996 MTD riding mower. Are they different sizes?

By Jeff Lee H

I have a 14.5 hp MTD yard machine and it is stuck in gear. How can I get it out of gear? Thanks.

By Richard

How do I go about changing the front belt on a MTD task force riding lawn mower?

By swalker125 from Lecanto, FL

I have a 12hp 38inch MTD riding tractor. The engine drags really slow when trying to start and drains the battery after a few tries. Do I need a new battery or new starter? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

By Jay

Answers:

Repairing a MTD Riding Lawn Mower

I am not sure about yours; but mine was doing that, too. My husband noted that the choke was not working; so now I just manually "choke" the engine as I start it, and it starts every time. (04/04/2010)

By Jilson

Repairing a MTD Riding Lawn Mower

Start with the battery. Most parts stores will load test them at no fee. (05/01/2010)

By EngTech

I am in the process of repairing a 1997 MTD 18HP lawn mower. I am having a problem putting the carburetor back together properly. Does anyone know where or have some pictures I can look at? Thanks for any help.

Adam from Fishers, IN

Answers:

getting gas to the carb

Check the diaphragm in the front of the carburetor, it could be dried out. That's if it is a twin cycle. I'm sure that is your problem, I have fix plenty of those. (05/16/2007)

By Stan the man

clicking when turning the key

If it is clicking I'm sure its the solenoid. Also check the starter and make sure the starter drive is not stuck in the fly wheel. (05/16/2007)

By Stan the man

Load More