Repairing a Zipper That Zips and Then Splits Open

The zipper on my coat does zip, but it splits open. How can I fix this?

By Suz from NJ

Answers:

I truly don't think there is a way to fix a zipper that does this (at least that's my personal experience), but what you could try is taking it to a dry cleaners that has an on sight seamstress. If anyone knows, the seamstress will. :-) I've had a lot of help over the years doing this and, for the most part, they are less expensive than a strictly tailoring business. Be prepared that you might have to replace the zipper though. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

If it's a nylon zipper, then you can't repair them. If you know how to put in a zipper (a rather simple procedure really), then just remove the old zipper with a seam ripper and place the new zipper in the same area and sew along the same seam lines. Measure the zipper so you'll know what length you will need. Most sewing machines come with a zipper foot attachment. (I think dryer heat too hot causes nylon zippers to malfunction.)

If the zipper is metal, sometimes you can hand sew over the zipper above the area where teeth are missing and that will keep the zipper pull from slipping out of place and popping open the zipper. Also, this depends on where teeth are missing, like in the middle, then you'll need to replace. (12/08/2009)

By Lorelei

Before you replace the zipper you might try using pliers and gently clamping the pull together a little. I have had success doing that on a heavy zipper such as would be in a coat. By pull I mean the part that you pull up to zip the coat. Press close to the bottom of the pull a little and see if that helps. It is not a lot of fun to replace a zipper! (12/10/2009)

By wykitkat

Unzip the zipper and then squeeze it with a pair of pliers to close the gaps that guide the cloth part by the teeth. If those gaps are too wide, the teeth don't inter-mesh securely, I think. It worked on a pair of boots I had. (12/10/2009)

By old dog

zipper
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
A blue zipper that is half way unzipped.
Fixing a Stuck Zipper
🎉
🎄