Repairing an Air Mattress

I am using an air mattress for a bed until they can solve a medical issue. I will blow the air mattress up each evening, and in the morning it is softer. I assumed it was a leak. Is this normal that the mattress will lose a little air each day? Any help would be appreciated.

By denny 1 from Grand Junction, CO

Answers:

Repairing an Air Mattress

They can lose air due to stretching, but it should not be a very noticeable amount overnight. Take a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray the mattress and wherever it starts to bubble, there is a leak. (08/25/2009)

By medievalmom

Repairing an Air Mattress

Your body heat can cause the mattress to expand, thereby making a larger space for the same amount of air. Try blowing it up in a very warm room, or warming it with a blow dryer before inflating it completely.
We have several because we camp and if the temperature drops overnight, the mattress will "slump" because the air inside it got colder. Unfortunately, even the best name brands will frequently require a little extra air from time to time. Hope your medical condition is resolved soon. Good luck! (08/28/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Repairing an Air Mattress

The only air mattress that I've ever had that didn't leak was an Aerobed. Expensive, but worth it if you're going to be sleeping on it for an extended period of time. Best wishes for your recovery. (08/29/2009)

By Merlene

Repairing an Air Mattress

If you find a hole, a good and inexpensive way to patch the hole is to use a glue gun. I've been using an air mattress due to a bedbug problem and I discovered two holes today (which explained why I ended up on the floor in the morning even though I inflated the bed before I went to sleep). I aimed the glue gun toward where the holes were and filled it in. Let the glue cool slightly and press it down to stop any bubbling that may occur as the air escapes. When the glue stops bubbling, this should be a good indicator that the leak has stopped. (08/31/2009)

By jamiebear

Top Comment

This is normal....the vinyl "relaxes " or stretches to accommodate the body weight. I just kept filling mine a little until one morning in stopped relaxing. However, you may also want to check an make sure the intake valve is screw tightly shut and the plug is inserted.

Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
red air mattress
Finding Replacement Caps for Your Air Mattress
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
Woman pumping up air mattress in the woods
Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress
🎄