Repairing an Electric Typewriter

Category Office
Electric Typewriter
The electric typewriter has long since been replaced by the PC and then the laptop. Finding someone to make repairs can be difficult and expensive, you can save money if you make the repairs yourself. This is a guide about repairing an electric typewriter.

Even in this day of computers, tablets, and smart phones some people still like to use an electric typewriter. Repairing one can be a challenge, as you will probably need to do the work yourself. This is a guide about fixing a Smith Corona typewriter.

Electric typewriter.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My IBM Selectric just started acting odd. Once turned on, and when the carriage return button is pressed, the carriage moves all the way to the left and stays there, and the machine hums. Normal typing is impossible. Turning the machine off is the only "remedy".

What could cause this?

so the carriage return is sticking or freezing. I would look for a typewriter or electronic repairman who would fix it. This may be difficult or even impossible, but worth a try. Also try googling your machines name and you might get some advice especially if you add your town or city and country

Sometimes you can get very helpful advice from the original manufacturers if they are still about. I'd check to see if there are other extant makers of electrical typewriters. E-Bay might provide some leads.

Otherwise you could find an electrician who works with small appliances and ask him to have a go.

Sorry I can't help more.

Lots of good information at the following link, videos too:

https://www.goo  +troubleshooting

Best of luck.

EJ

Parts were no longer available for mine but a local technician fiddled with it and made it work. He reached underneath and pushed something up. When I retired he bought it from me for parts.

IBM Wheelwriter Series II lost memory, an acting strange. Is it beyond repair?

I have a Sears Electronic II electronic typewriter, it has the disc or wheel with type on it. It starts and everything seems to work when I hit any key the disc spins to the proper position, but the plunger that forces the letter to the paper does not move. It can be moved with forceps, but makes no movement when it is supposed to. Any ideas where to look? Thanks.

Answers

You might need a new print head. If you have the manual you can see the part numbers. You may be able to download a manual online if you turn over your typewriter so you can see the model number.

I have the model number but have been unable to find the proper manual. I will try to find a print head, thanks for the suggestion.

I've always been able to get help from Sears for any of their products so I would suggest you try them first and they also answer questions.

http://www.sear  ect/user-manuals

I bought an AT&T model 5300 electric typewriter and when I started it up and began to type my name after the first letter the typewriter stopped typing. Then it started beeping and the only solution was to turn it off. Also, the right margin key and the tab set key would beep when pressed. The shift lock key lights up when a number/letter key is hit.

You could try oiling the key. Typewriters became obsolete. You may be able to find someone to repair. Even parts are hard to find. Good luck!

I'd try oiling it, too!

I plugged in my typewriter and it acts like it is getting no power. It will not turn on and no keys are working. Is there a reset or another key that needs to be used? It is a Royal Aristocrat.

By Charles

There is no reset key, as most home typewriters pre-1990s (they built typewriters until 2010-2011 when "Brother" shut down their last factory) weren't computerized yet. The main power chord is one possibility, or your transformer inside the typewriter might be dead. Another possibility is the power switch, or a fuse--assuming your's has a fuse. If none of this helps, then the next step is to try to find someone who knows more about that typewriter than I do. I have 17 typewriters, almost evenly divided between electric and manual; I've had that same power issue with my electrics before; it's almost always repairable; sometimes easily, sometimes, less so.

When I hit the return key on my Adler Satellite II, the carriage returns, but the platen does not advance.

By Cyrus K.

I have the same problem with my Smith Corona! Any help would be much appreciated!

I have a South Corona SC100 typewriter. It will turn on, but does not register that the keys are being pressed. There seems to be nothing else wrong with it. What could be the problem?

I have a Canon CS10 electric typewriter. I starts OK, but when I type any of the buttons, the typewriter hangs it self up repeating that letter until another letter is depressed.

I'm quite technical. Does anyone know what the problem can be and can help me with tips on solving my problem?

Despite modern ages and having a lot of computers, laptops, etc. in use by me, I have a typewriter located at both my flat and at my office premises which often come in very handy indeed!

The Canon CS10 I have, which I thought would last for a long time, hence bought a lot of accessories for it.

I would be very grateful for any tips on how to solve this problem.

I work in an assisted living community, and one of our sweet ladies has a Selectric that she loves to use. Unfortunately, recently, it has stopped working. It does turn on, but then the key ball just spins. It does not stop and you cannot type. Any suggestions? I would love to be able to assist her with this issue.

By P Jones

I have a Canon ES 33-ll/ES 43 typewriter. The electric typewriter works great except that the "T" key just stop working.

By Matt S.

I have a Silver Reed Ex 56 typewriter. It is in good shape, except when turned on, the carrier moves noisily all the way to the right. It stops there, sputters loudly, and will not return to the start margin. I've oiled the run bar, and replaced the inked ribbon and correction ribbon. Any ideas? Thanks!

By Donald M

The carriage on my electric Royal Satellite TA seems to be hung up and makes a buzzing noise when the return key is pressed. Any suggestions?

By Gaynelle M.

The lights on our Adler 805 continually blink on, but it will not start. Please advise what we should look for.

By Lorraine J.