Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I have a lot of stray cats roaming my neighborhood, thanks to Hurricane Ike. The cats jump my fence and poop in my yard. The problem is that I have a young puppy that licks the cat's poo, gross. Is there a safe repellent that will repel the cats, but still allow my puppy to use the yard.

By Lisa from Missouri City, TX

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

One thing that really disturbs me is the irresponsible pet owner who neglects to keep their pets inside their own perimeters. When I see roaming animals who could get hit by vehicles or into someone else's garbage stringing it about or yes, even fishing hooks within reach (that happened to a dog that was roaming or got lost from its owner). It halfway swallowed a three prong hook. It was gagging and having a hard time. When I noticed the problem it was having that's what I found lodged in its mouth near the back of the throat. It was such a nice dog, too.

If I were you, I'd call the local pet shelter and inquire about setting up a cage to catch the stray cats and let them deal with these uncared for cats. If people really care about their pets they wouldn't let them run freely or become disturbances to others. Not to mention you may have your pet seeing a vet for shots and excellent care, but you can't tell about other animals that are roaming about they could spread an illness to your own pets or attack them, too. What is so bad is your own pet is on its own premise when it happens.

Another idea is to run an ad about stray cats in your area or street and let them know your plan of action. That should cause pet owners to watch their pets better. (03/22/2010)

By Lorelei

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I don't know if you would like to take the time, but perhaps you could get your local council or animal shelter to leave humane cat traps for them. They could then be taken away to a shelter for re-homing or worst case scenario euthanized. (03/24/2010)

By Sharylesley

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Anything citrus (peels, spray, oil, etc.) will definitely help repel cats. As for rats, they are attracted to the fruit of citrus trees in citrus tree groves, not peels randomly placed in your yard.

I am praying no one suggests mothballs because they can be deadly to pets, humans, and bad for our environment. (03/25/2010)

By Deeli

Find in your garden where the cat is going to the toilet. buy some balloons and blow them up not too large, dig a hole and bury the balloon. When the cat comes again it will start to dig, the balloon should pop and make a noise hopefully scaring the cat away. no one is hurt.

Orange tabby kitten in grass and flowers
Repelling Neighborhood Cats
Cat Looking in Flap
Other Cats Using My Cat Flap
Raking Mulch
Best Mulch for Repelling Bugs
Mosquito on someone's skin.
Repelling Mosquitoes
Neighborhood Cat On Porch
Keeping Neighborhood Cats Off Porch