Replacing a Turn Lock on a Leather Purse

Category Other
Close up of Turn Lock on a Leather Purse
Finding a good leather or shoe shop might be the best solution to replacing this type of purse latch. This is a guide about replacing a turn lock on a leather purse.

I have a hand tooled leather purse that my uncle made for my mom. Both are deceased. The turn clasp needs to be replaced, and I really want to do this myself. Does anyone know how to do this, or have pictures where they are disassembling a clasp? Thanks!

Best Answer

Buckleguy probably has a clasp close to it. https://www.buc  ks-and-closures/ /

From my sewing experience you will probably need a tool to get the old one off and put the new one on. For that I would go to a shoe repair shop. If he is a nice guy, he'll do it for free. If he's not that nice, he would charge $10-$15. You can also go to a small hardware store, too.

Best Answer

These were really "in style" for several years (I had one also). Are you sure you want to tackle this job yourself? Would this be for sentimental reasons? I can understand that but then you want it to be done properly - right?

Why not try to find someone local that can do this and at least find out how much it would cost - maybe you will change your mind. You may have to Google your question with your zip code for shops that will do this type of repair.

Nice that you care enough to keep this item in remembrance of your mother and your uncle.

Best Answer

Go to your local leather shop and explain it to them. They are probably used to such request and will help. At least in my area, the leather shop gives classes to the community, scouts, 4H kids and such and love to help with projects.

Best Answer

You should contact a leatherworker to do this for you. You can finding in your area or visit this site and pose the question there or find someone to help you: http://leatherworker.net/forum/