Repurposing Pillow Shams

If you don't use shams on your bed, there are lots of ways to get some use out of these fabric bags. This is a guide about repurposing pillow shams.

September 30, 2008 Flag

Use pretty pillow sham covers as pillows on your sofa or as throw cushions! I see these all the time at Goodwill for a buck or two, and I decided to make use of them. My kids like to use them as floor pillows, as well. Plus if your sofa is kind of tired looking you can add a couple and give it a whole new look.

By Carol from Landisville, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Carol, I have been doing this for years! I also use large pillow shams as doggie bed covers as his quilted bed slides right into the sham. Shams are so easy to wash that it really works out for me and also I like things to match so they are perfect to put in the living room and not be an eye sore!

Lisa

What a good idea; I've been in the sewing mood so I'll do this after the holidays.

Read More Comments...

March 25, 2012 Flag

We don't use pillow shams and I bought 2 king size summer quilts that came with 2 free shams each. Any ideas on what they can be turned into?

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can keep them in the linen closet for sheet sets, pj's, storing quilts or blankets, or just give them to the local women's shelter. Good luck.

You could stuff them with cedar chips, sew up the opening, and use them as a pet bed. The cedar chips will keep down the fleas. This pet bed can be put on the floor or on the spot on the couch where they like to hang out. It can also be a liner for their pet basket. Stylish and matches your bedroom set.

They can be used to make throw pillows, cut into strips for making a rag rug, used to cover hangers or to make sachets, used to make a window valance, to cover a box for storage, or a million of other things.

Depending on how the shams secure, I had an overlapping sham back. I cut this sham in half, hemmed the edges, and used these to cover the back of folding chairs. I used a complementary chair cushion and I always got a lot of positive comments to these plain folding chairs.

ok384, they have overlapping backs so your idea would work for me.

Thanks to all for the great tips!

Oops, I see it should be ck384 (not ok384). Sorry!

July 30, 2012 Flag

I had two pillows that were used a lot! I had washed them several times and finally the covering just almost disintegrated. The inside pillow was still good so I decided to recover them (since new pillows are $15.00 and up when you buy them). I found some pillow shams that I never used in my closet. I cut them to fit the pillow stuffing, sewed up the sides, stuffed the pillows in and sewed up the remaining side. I now have two brand new pillows. Cost was nothing to me.

By Rita from University Place, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2005 Flag

I have a number of pillow shams (some with zipper and some without) that are new or "almost new". Does anyone have any ideas on how I could use these shams other than putting them on my bed? Many of them don't match any longer.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Anjeena

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can make a nice quilt out of them - a small one for a crib, or child's bed, or a larger one for a twin.

Fill each sham with padding - then stitch an X on the sham (corner to corner) which will hold the padding in place. Sew the shams together either by machine or by hand

Thank you all for your terrific ideas about uses for pillow shams. So creative.

One more question, please?

I also have two king sized bed skirts (again, not matching). Any ideas on uses for these. The base is white and the ruffles are different.

Thanks again.

Anjeena

I use pillow shams as large doilies under lamps on my antique end tables, especially if the lamp does not have the little felt feet. It protects the wood from scratches.

I use pillows in pillow shams on my couch and chairs as decorative pillows. Being larger, they are more comfortable. They also help keep the couch clean because both my dogs like to sleep on it. When the pillows get dirty, just throw the sham in the wash!

Marcie

A bedskirt could be used as an underpad on a dining table with a tablecloth on top. (not waterproof though)

The decorative sides of the bedskirt could be cut and made into pillow covers.

The plain part of the bedskirt that goes on the boxspring could be used as a small quilt backing or curtains. Quite often that part is muslin or white cotton

<b>http://romantichomesmagazine.co.nr</b>

I use them to re-cover the chair in my bedroom. I have a matching set to the bed.

Why not just use them for floor pillows in the bedroom or family room. You can always try scanning the family photos and iron on, or collage of friend and family photos. Maybe some special stitching or scrapbook-like media and pass them on for gifts.

By delanese

If color/size right a valance or small curtain.

I cut up special fabrics of some of the prettiest ones to make laprobes to give away, I'm always on-the-prowl for cheap fancy fabrics for my small blankets, and some have nice cording around them to use for my other crafts.

Read More Answers...

February 25, 2009 Flag

Whenever I buy sets of bedding many times there are two pillow shams that go with the bedding and I never use them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 29, 2013
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
carseat pillow
Making a Child's Handle Pillow
dark pink zinnia pillow
Making a Zinnia Throw Pillow
Pillow Made from Fabric Scraps
Making a Pillow With Fabric Scraps
🎉
🎄