Rescue Dog Poops Inside When Left Alone

I started fostering a black Lab/Boxer/Pit Bull mix 3 weeks ago. I believe she has separation anxiety which has been causing me anxiety throughout my day at work. She can tell when I'm getting ready for work and she follows me from room to room and when I'm just sitting watching TV she makes sure she is right next to me or on top of me.

I've tried to make it less noticeable when I'm getting ready to leave for work by waiting until I have her locked in the bedroom before putting my shoes and coat on. But she's a pretty smart dog and she knows when I'm about to leave and she tries her very best to not go into the bedroom. I leave the TV on for her and a sound maker. She cries for a while and eventually gives up, but lately her crying has been louder and lasting longer. Since I got her 3 weeks ago, almost every day I have come home to poop on the floor in the bedroom. The other day she had pooped in the bedroom before I ever walked out the door to head to work and this was 10 minutes after I had let her outside.

How do I help her be less stressed when I leave for work and how do I get her to stop pooping in the bedroom? She is 5 years old. She was used as bait in a dog fight with 5 other dogs. She never has accidents in the house when I am home and she is very well trained, minus her accidents while I am gone. Thank you.

Maybe she needs to be kenneled or have anther puppy for a friend?

Make sure you feed the dog at the same time every day. Take the food away between meals. Extra food may cause an accident

Make sure you take the dog out at the same time every day as well.

All accidents must be thoroughly cleaned up so that the territory is not marked.

If you catch your dog in the act,

immediately clap your hands to startle him. It does no good to do this after the fact.

How sad to know that a dog has been abused and then have to feel that you must punish them to correct a fear that probably came from that abuse.

My son had to take his days off to try and correct a similar problem.

This solution will only work if you have a baby monitor with intercom.

Be sure your dog has already been outside before doing this.

Ask a friend to help if necessary  act like you are leaving (out the door) but someone has to stay behind to watch the video and use the intercom to tell the dog NO or clap your hands if they start to squat to poop. Maybe it will startle the dog and get their mind off pooping.

This may take a few times but I have seen it work.

Leaving and returning should be very low key and maybe leave some of your old clothing for the dog to snuggle in, or leave the radio or TV on for a while.

Does the dog have another room to stay in? Maybe that might help.

Hope something helps this beautiful pup.

I have read that dogs and cats sometimes poop in the house to tell you how to find them when you are gone. They don't know if you are coming back and that's their only way of helping you. My neighbors cat started pooping on her son's pillow when he went away to college and stopped when he came home for Thanksgiving.

Here are a few suggestions that may help reduce you pup's anxiety.

Putting him in dog kennel with your pillowcase, clothing or used towels so he can sense that you are still near. Cover the kennel with a coverlet or dark towels so that he will feel safe. I went through three size kennels with my puppy as he grew, so you may want to buy a large one from the start. You can buy a continuous run tape and talk gently to him or sing him a song, whatever you think he would like. You can set it on a timer to come on every hour or so and then increase the time as he feels more secure. I was away in Florida, from Massachusetts, when my sister checked on my three cats. She could only find two of them. She put me on the speaker phone and as I gently called him he came quietly up the stairs from the basement and we knew he was OK. Your puppy is lucky he has such a caring owner as you.

Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 7, 2017
cute dog looking guilty
Dog Pees in House When Left Alone
Briard
Briard Breed Information and Photos
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 9:10:12 PM on 10.0.0.44 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.