General AdviceConsumer Advice

Researching Medical Institutions Seen in Ads

Is there a way to find out if a medical institution that I saw advertised in a magazine is legitimate? It is for minimally invasive laser spine surgery that I am looking into for my 87 yr old father. He has spinal stenosis and the other medical options offered to him via his physician are feasible for him. The laser surgery sounds very enticing, but I don't want to get him involved with something that would be a mistake. Many thoughts come to mind about how people are drawn into something different. If I Google the place, can I trust what I find?

By Arlinn

The Laser Spine Institute has seminars all over the place. We went to one a few weeks ago & were very impressed with the credentials & reputation of the Drs. They were very knowledgable & treated us well. My hubby would have had the surgery except for his insurance co. wouldn't help at all. That really amazed me as they will help with surgery that will debilitate him. I would try to go to a seminar listed on their website & then make a decision. I can't say what would have happened if he would have had the laser treatment but I really believe it would have been much easier on him than what he is now facing. Hope this helps!

Anonymous

First, "No you cannot trust reviews online by simply typing in the company name because it's usually the company setting up all the links that pop up!". You can type in things like "Is {company name} a scam?" though because that's when you'll usually come across legit info about the company.

The following might be helpful to you:

Go to this first link and you will find an internal search on the top black bar to the right. Type in the company name and see what comes up:

http://www.ripo  ou/LinkToUs.aspx

The second link gives really good info on how to judge whether a place/company is legit or not:

http://www.quac  n/nonrecorg.html