Resident Cat Acting Aggressively Towards New Cat

I adopted a male cat from the shelter. I had him neutered the day I picked him up. He's a sweet cat. The problem is the female cat I found as a small kitten is not taking to him. She is 17 months old, spayed, and spoiled rotten. She acts aggressively towards him. She gets along with all my other pets. I have two birds, a ferret, and a dog.

I thought she would be OK with the cat. She cried when she first saw him. Now she growls and hisses at him. He's a lot bigger than her and could hurt her if she tried to fight him. He was going to be put to sleep but he's too good of a cat. I pray they become friends. What can I do to help her accept him?

By Trishaann from Shallotte, NC

Answers:

You can buy a product called "Aggression Formula" from Petalive. Google petalive and you'll find it. It's meant for exactly what you're going through. It'll help them get used to each other, and over time they can work things out. It's kind of expensive though. (03/30/2010)

By Artlady

It's pretty normal behavior. Give them some time. Eventually, she'll get over it; he'll figure out how to avoid her; they'll just co-exist; or they'll actually become friends. She's just threatened and guarding her territory. We have eight cats and a dog - all spayed/neutered; introduced at different times; various ages - and they all get along in various ways. I have two that absolutely hated each other - we're talking if they had the misfortune of crossing paths, rolling in a ball together; fur flying; growling, etc. Couldn't even stand to have the other in the line of site. Now they can be within inches of each other and at least are just indifferent. Good luck! (03/30/2010)

By cowpunkgal

I am currently dealing with the same situation. The new cat has been here (in the guest room most of the time) for 2 1/2 weeks now. My resident cat is afraid of the new female kitty. She attacks him every few days. The rest of the time when they are in the room together she stares him down. If I speak to her, she doesn't go after him. I have trimmed all claws real short.

I tried the Petalive aggression product but had no luck. Botanicals also did nothing. I have noticed that Farnums comfort Zone with Feliway does work to some degree. It kind of takes the edge off. I tried a pet gate so they could "talk through the gate." She climbed it like spider-man. I had to laugh. At the moment I am making sure they both get lots of exercise and two people are in the room when they are together. I keep a squirt bottle handy and that does slow her down. I feel like we are making some progress but wish it was faster. Good luck! (03/30/2010)

By Lizzyanny

I have had cats all of my life. Well, since I was 4 and I am now 47. In 43 years there have been a lot of cats! It may just take time. Most of the time they will learn to get along and may even seem embarrassed when you catch them sleeping together. Or they may never get along but at least learn to tolerate each other.

Don't give up! Don't give one more attention than the other. In some cases it helps if they get to eat a really special treat together, but not something that they have to share from the same dish. Also, play with them together. When they discover their shared enthusiasm for chasing a string they may also find the other one isn't so bad after all. (03/31/2010)

By Beth

Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
disgruntled teen
Dealing With a Teen Who Is Acting Out
Investing Strategies Stock Market Ticker
Investing Strategies
Older cat playing with a kitten.
Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat
🎉
🎄