Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Restoring Crystallized Honey

0 0EmailFollow
Restoring Crystallized Honey

Honey has a tendency to crystallize when stored for a period of time. This is a guide about restoring crystallized honey.

Solutions: Restoring Crystallized Honey

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cloudy or Crystallized Honey

You can restore cloudy or crystallized honey to its original state by placing it in a pan of hot tap water. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it will be good as new.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Restoring Crystallized Honey.

Question: Honey Turned Darker

I have a jar of clover honey that was clear when I bought it, but has turned a dark brown color. Is it safe to eat?

By Bob

Question: Eating Crystallized Honey

Can we eat honey which was kept in fridge, it is crystallised now?

By rd

Most Recent Answer

By Litter Gitter [97]06/18/2012

I keep my jar of honey on the cook stove and the warmth from the stove keeps it from crystallizing.

Question: Homemade Parsley Honey Crystallized

Has anyone any idea why every time I make parsley honey, once the jar has been opened it has started to crystallize and doesn't stop til fully crystallised in the jar. Each batch made turns out the same. Yes, everything is sterilised before hand.

By Jan

Question: Softening Hard Honey in the Jar

I have had my jar of honey for quite some time. Is there a way to soften honey to get it out of a jar?

By Gail

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S. [39]05/23/2011

I do the same as Keeper. I don't think I even go a minute with it, just check it every 15 or 20 seconds, so much easier than getting a pan out , etc.

Question: Crystallized and Hard Honey

I have a half-gallon container of honey that has solidified. Can it still be used? How do I liquefy it again?

By Sandy from Bandon, OR

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill [12]03/07/2011

Also squeeze a bit of fresh lime or fresh lemon on the amount you need it will work to soften it quickly just a quick mix and it is liquid.

Question: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

How do you keep honey from turning to sugar?

By Tonya from Langley, WA

Most Recent Answer

By metroplex [81]05/13/2010

Some people say to store the bottle upside down!
My Mom says it works.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Set your jar of honey in a pot of boiling water, lid off and up to crystallization point. Soon the honey will return to its original consistency. How to stop this I have not been completely successful but, I graduate the jar down to the amount of honey and this seems to help.

By Jane Young from Richmond, B.C. Canada

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

I have a jar of honey that is starting to turn to sugar. How can I prevent this from happening again and is there anyway I can correct this? Thank you, Mary from Erial, NJ

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Ann (Guest Post)

Keep it in the cabinet. Not in the refrigerator.

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

gator10tx (Guest Post)

What's done here is zapping the whole jar in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, or until the honey becomes liquid again. If there are still crystals in the jar, you could stir them into the melted honey; re-zap the jar if the crystals don't 'melt' right away. Like Grandma Marge wrote, remember to remove the jar lid before microwaving. If not, you could have a huge, sticky clean-up later.

Do not re-place the jar lid until the honey has cooled down. As the air inside a closed bottle cools, in a plastic "bear" shaped jar, it can become misshapen. Once all the honey becomes liquid again, it will remain crystal-free for several months.

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

got2bcristi (Guest Post)

I've used raw honey for years and good honey will naturally turn to sugar. When it turns to sugar the best way to liquefy it is to use the hot water method. Heating on the stove or in the microwave may kill its health giving properties. You should be aware that the cooler it is kept the faster it turns, so not keeping it in the refrigerator is really good advice (the bees just leave it in the comb and it stays good for years, even after it turns very dark).

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Louise (Guest Post)

I think everyone has had this happen to their honey, but I have a small trick to keeping mine liquid. When it turns to sugar, place the opened jar in hot water until the crystals are dissolved, then add a very small amount of Karo syrup and it won't crystallize for a long time. It won't change the taste of it hardly any if you don't put too much. Leave it in the cool cabinet. Good luck.

Mary

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Post by Maryeileen

It's called crystallization and I recently read that Tupelo honey will not crystallize. Although I do believe that it is quite expensive.

Putting the jar in hot water will do it, as will putting a glass jar (with the lid removed) in the microwave. However, I would not suggest putting one of those plastic honey bears in a microwave as the plastic is "not" microwave-safe.

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Years ago when I kept a few hives of bees I learned a lot about them from a wise old man who kept them. I have no scientific basis on which to base the following claim, but it seems to be true. According to "Mr. Buck", honey crystallizes because moisture gets in it. This can be from a wet spoon, or water vapor being sucked back into the "honey bear", or whatever. I believe this is true.

The various tips to return it to liquid work just fine, but if steam gets into the jar it will sugar up again in due time.

I have read that honey was found in the tombs of Egyptian mummies and was still unspoiled and okay to eat. I don't know if it had crystallized, but I expect those tombs were pretty dry. Anyway, suffice it to say the stuff has a really *long* shelf life. (07/02/2007)

By Alph

Archive: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Ann (Guest Post)

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

gator10tx (Guest Post)

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

got2bcristi (Guest Post)

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Louise (Guest Post)

Mary

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Post by Maryeileen

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

RE: Honey Is Turning To Sugar

By Alph