Browsing: Restoring Crystallized Honey

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Restoring Crystallized Honey

Honey has a tendency to crystallize when stored for a period of time. This is a guide about restoring crystallized honey.

Restoring Crystallized Honey
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 3, 2005 Flag

You can restore cloudy or crystallized honey to its original state by placing it in a pan of hot tap water. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it will be good as new.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 11, 2011 Flag

I have a half-gallon container of honey that has solidified. Can it still be used? How do I liquefy it again?

By Sandy from Bandon, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just put the container in a large pot with some water around it and turn the stove burner on low for a while. It will make the honey liquify again.

Put it in a container of hot water for a while. Otherwise you could try microwaving it on low for a short amount of time also.

I don't recommend heating it in a microwave, this can actually cause the liquified honey to recrystalize even faster, plus if it's in plastic, it may not be healthy to microwave teh plastic. Slowly heating it up in a pan of water on the stove is a good way to reliquify it.

Also squeeze a bit of fresh lime or fresh lemon on the amount you need it will work to soften it quickly just a quick mix and it is liquid.

Read More Answers...

May 20, 2011 Flag

I have had my jar of honey for quite some time. Is there a way to soften honey to get it out of a jar?

By Gail

I've placed my container of solidified honey into very hot water. Every now and then I stir the honey, and I replace the water as it cools. It takes a little time, but it works.

I take the lid off and microwave 1 minute at a time,stirring each time.

Place enough water in pan to come almost halfway up the jar bring water to a boil remove from heat and place jar in it stir every so often. Or you can, if as glass or plastic jar, place in microwave for about one minute each time take it out replace lid and shake it up, repeat if needed. Warning though honey super heats and gets hotter longer and stays hot longer than other liquids.

I do the same as Keeper. I don't think I even go a minute with it, just check it every 15 or 20 seconds, so much easier than getting a pan out , etc.

June 17, 2012 Flag

Can we eat honey which was kept in fridge, it is crystallised now?

By rd

Yes you can eat it its great on toast!

If you want to un-crystalize it its easy. If in a glass jar just boil a small pot of water. Once to a boil take off heat and place jar without lid in the water stir every so often. If it's in a plastic jar just transfer to a glass jar. Honey if if raw or pure will never go bad and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Some of the store bought stuff that has expiration dates and says keep refrigerated means that either they feed their bees corn syrup or added it during the processing and isn't totally "pure".

You can set it in a pan of hot water and it will melt. You will also have to keep changing the water. Depending on the container, you could even but it in a pan of water and bring the water to a boil.

I keep my jar of honey on the cook stove and the warmth from the stove keeps it from crystallizing.

March 30, 2010 Flag

How do you keep honey from turning to sugar?

By Tonya from Langley, WA

Some honey turns to sugar and some doesn't. When that happens the thing to do is put the container in a pan with some water in the pan and bring it to a boil, then turn the burner way down to let it simmer, until the honey liqufies. My former in-laws used to let a bee keeper keep his hives on their farm and in return they were given several gallons of honey, in the natural form, which in turn became sugary as it sat. The directions that I gave you are what my mother-in-law did.

Unprocessed(raw) honey is going to crystallize not matter what. It's normal & it doesn't hurt the honey, it's not bad. In one of the archived posts, someone said it's because water gets into it, but that's not what causes it(although it CAN cause it to go bad),it has to do with the amount of glucose(sugar) in the honey. Heating it up will fix the crystallization, like others have said.You can put the jar in a pan of water on the stove, or microwave it. Stir it occasionally to mix. However, the more times you heat it, the more it degrades the quality of the honey.It also allows yeast & bacteria to start growing & the honey can go bad.

Earlier posts say to store it at room temp,that cold temp is bad.Not true. If it is raw, unpasturized honey, storing at room temp can cause it to crystallize faster & separate into layers of crystallized sugar & liquid-and the liquid can grow bacteria & yeast,going bad.You can store it at room temp, but keeping it in the fridge or freezer is best. I have honey that is +20 yrs old in my freezer, in quart canning jars.

It's become very dark with age,but is delicious. I keep a small jelly jar in my fridge or on the counter & re-fill from the freezer as it empties by scooping out what I need into a microwave safe bowl & heating it just until it starts to liquefy. If the honey in my little jar crystallizes, I don't re-heat the whole jar. I just scoop out what I need & heat that in the microwave, that way it doesn't keep heating the larger amount & degrading it.

Those little plastic honey bear containers are cute, but impractical because if the honey gets hard,you can't get it out. It is best to store your honey in an airtight jar or container with a wide mouth so you can scoop out what you need.

My gr granddad was a bee keeper for the last 30 yrs of his life. He taught my mom some of what he knew about it. Also, my mom allowed a bee keeper to keep hives on her property for many years. He had hives all over the state of AZ & would harvest it then sell it on a large scale in Phoenix. In return for allowing him to use her property,he gave her a few gallon jars of honey every time he harvested-fresh mesquite honey is the absolute best!! He's the one who told us to store it in the freezer & not re heat it too many times. I also found info by googling that backs up this info, such as http://161.58.48.157/downloads/crystallization.pdf

Set the jar in water and bring to boil. Shut off and let sit. No need to remove the lid. The honey will not turn to sugar again. I have done this a lot of times. I've even sat honey jars on a register in the winter and let the furnace bring it back.

Some people say to store the bottle upside down!

My Mom says it works.

February 11, 2011 Flag

How can you rejuvenate, crystallized and hard honey?

Thanks,

Joe

Answers:

Crystallized and Hard Honey

You can either put it in the microwave and heat it or put the jar in a pot of simmering water. This should dissolve the crystals and is should be a good as new! (09/21/2004)

By Kathy

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Microwave until it is back to it's original state. Then let cool and replace cover, it should stay liquid for months. Honey is the only food that never spoils as long as nothing is added to it. It will keep forever and if it crystallizes again just microwave again. (09/21/2004)

By Barbie

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Place the container of honey in your microwave and start zapping it @ high power for 15 second intervals, watching it very carefully. If not, once it reaches its high point it will boil over. Happy honeying. (09/21/2004)

By jbbnb

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Setting it in a sunny window works well too. (09/21/2004)

By MB in WY

Crystallized and Hard Honey

This worked perfectly for me. I've tried hot water and microwaves, but melted bottle both ways.

This time I put the bottle of honey in the dishwasher and the honey melted perfectly! (with no change to bottle shape) I just put it on top of the dishes (top tray) and ran on the normal setting. You can squeeze the bottle a little and close the lid before dish washing it, but I didn't think of that. (11/26/2010)

By fjwagner

March 30, 2010 Flag

Set your jar of honey in a pot of boiling water, lid off and up to crystallization point. Soon the honey will return to its original consistency. How to stop this I have not been completely successful but, I graduate the jar down to the amount of honey and this seems to help.

By Jane Young from Richmond, B.C. Canada

Answers:

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

I have a jar of honey that is starting to turn to sugar. How can I prevent this from happening again and is there anyway I can correct this?

Thank you,
Mary from Erial, NJ

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Ann (Guest Post)

Keep it in the cabinet. Not in the refrigerator.

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

gator10tx (Guest Post)

What's done here is zapping the whole jar in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, or until the honey becomes liquid again. If there are still crystals in the jar, you could stir them into the melted honey; re-zap the jar if the crystals don't 'melt' right away. Like Grandma Marge wrote, remember to remove the jar lid before microwaving. If not, you could have a huge, sticky clean-up later.

Do not re-place the jar lid until the honey has cooled down. As the air inside a closed bottle cools, in a plastic "bear" shaped jar, it can become misshapen. Once all the honey becomes liquid again, it will remain crystal-free for several months.

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

got2bcristi (Guest Post)

I've used raw honey for years and good honey will naturally turn to sugar. When it turns to sugar the best way to liquefy it is to use the hot water method. Heating on the stove or in the microwave may kill its health giving properties. You should be aware that the cooler it is kept the faster it turns, so not keeping it in the refrigerator is really good advice (the bees just leave it in the comb and it stays good for years, even after it turns very dark).

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Louise (Guest Post)

I think everyone has had this happen to their honey, but I have a small trick to keeping mine liquid. When it turns to sugar, place the opened jar in hot water until the crystals are dissolved, then add a very small amount of Karo syrup and it won't crystallize for a long time. It won't change the taste of it hardly any if you don't put too much. Leave it in the cool cabinet. Good luck.

Mary

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Post by Maryeileen

It's called crystallization and I recently read that Tupelo honey will not crystallize. Although I do believe that it is quite expensive.

Putting the jar in hot water will do it, as will putting a glass jar (with the lid removed) in the microwave. However, I would not suggest putting one of those plastic honey bears in a microwave as the plastic is "not" microwave-safe.

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Honey Is Turning To Sugar

Years ago when I kept a few hives of bees I learned a lot about them from a wise old man who kept them. I have no scientific basis on which to base the following claim, but it seems to be true. According to "Mr. Buck", honey crystallizes because moisture gets in it. This can be from a wet spoon, or water vapor being sucked back into the "honey bear", or whatever. I believe this is true.

The various tips to return it to liquid work just fine, but if steam gets into the jar it will sugar up again in due time.

I have read that honey was found in the tombs of Egyptian mummies and was still unspoiled and okay to eat. I don't know if it had crystallized, but I expect those tombs were pretty dry. Anyway, suffice it to say the stuff has a really *long* shelf life. (07/02/2007)

By Alph

March 30, 2010 Flag

Set your jar of honey in a pot of boiling water, lid off and up to crystallization point. Soon the honey will return to its original consistency. How to stop this I have not been completely successful but, I graduate the jar down to the amount of honey and this seems to help. . .

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJanuary 12, 2013
Orange Honey Sauce
Orange Honey Sauce Recipes
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
jar of honey
Honey Cake Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:20:39 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.