Restoring Crystallized Honey

Honey has a tendency to crystallize when stored for a period of time. This is a guide about restoring crystallized honey.

December 3, 2005 Flag

You can restore cloudy or crystallized honey to its original state by placing it in a pan of hot tap water. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it will be good as new.

A quick short shot in the microwave will have the same effect. HOWEVER, do NOT use this technique on CREAMED honey as it will no longer be "Creamed".

Another tip if you do put it in the microwave, do not put in a closed container, make sure that it is opened or it can explode.

Susan from ThriftyFun

And remember, honey is the only food in the world that never spoils!!! Guess those bees know something about longevity....

Most honey is pasteurized (cooked). The best honey however is raw honey or unpasteurized. It is healthier for you.

If a bee eats pasteurized honey, he dies.....

I eat raw honey everyday...

Jim in Jax

Do not put a plastic honey container in the microwave unless you enjoy chemical-laced honey! Warm water is a better idea, too hot and the plastic will break down, leaching chemicals into your food! Same goes for any container made of plastic!

thank you

February 11, 2011 Flag

I have a half-gallon container of honey that has solidified. Can it still be used? How do I liquefy it again?

By Sandy from Bandon, OR

Put it in a container of hot water for a while. Otherwise you could try microwaving it on low for a short amount of time also.

I don't recommend heating it in a microwave, this can actually cause the liquified honey to recrystalize even faster, plus if it's in plastic, it may not be healthy to microwave teh plastic. Slowly heating it up in a pan of water on the stove is a good way to reliquify it.

Also squeeze a bit of fresh lime or fresh lemon on the amount you need it will work to soften it quickly just a quick mix and it is liquid.

Do not put honey in microwave, ever!!!!!!! The microwave will kill all natural and healthy properties of the honey.

honey is the most perfect food in the world. It will never spoil. It takes just a little hot water in a pan to turn a jar of honey back from sugar to liquid. This works with any amount of honey. Set the jar or container into the hot water keep water warm. stir once in awhile. Best honey is not clover honey but honey that is gathered by the bees from wild flowers and flowering trees. Darker the better for me. Honey needs only to be strained. Never needs to be boiled or heated for any reason. It Just does not spoil.

From a old bee keeper. Patricia A Albin

May 20, 2011 Flag

I have had my jar of honey for quite some time. Is there a way to soften honey to get it out of a jar?

By Gail

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've placed my container of solidified honey into very hot water. Every now and then I stir the honey, and I replace the water as it cools. It takes a little time, but it works.

I take the lid off and microwave 1 minute at a time,stirring each time.

Place enough water in pan to come almost halfway up the jar bring water to a boil remove from heat and place jar in it stir every so often. Or you can, if as glass or plastic jar, place in microwave for about one minute each time take it out replace lid and shake it up, repeat if needed. Warning though honey super heats and gets hotter longer and stays hot longer than other liquids.

I do the same as Keeper. I don't think I even go a minute with it, just check it every 15 or 20 seconds, so much easier than getting a pan out , etc.

June 17, 2012 Flag

Can we eat honey which was kept in fridge, it is crystallised now?

By rd

Yes you can eat it its great on toast!

If you want to un-crystalize it its easy. If in a glass jar just boil a small pot of water. Once to a boil take off heat and place jar without lid in the water stir every so often. If it's in a plastic jar just transfer to a glass jar. Honey if if raw or pure will never go bad and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Some of the store bought stuff that has expiration dates and says keep refrigerated means that either they feed their bees corn syrup or added it during the processing and isn't totally "pure".

You can set it in a pan of hot water and it will melt. You will also have to keep changing the water. Depending on the container, you could even but it in a pan of water and bring the water to a boil.

I keep my jar of honey on the cook stove and the warmth from the stove keeps it from crystallizing.

March 30, 2010 Flag

How do you keep honey from turning to sugar?

By Tonya from Langley, WA

Some honey turns to sugar and some doesn't. When that happens the thing to do is put the container in a pan with some water in the pan and bring it to a boil, then turn the burner way down to let it simmer, until the honey liqufies. My former in-laws used to let a bee keeper keep his hives on their farm and in return they were given several gallons of honey, in the natural form, which in turn became sugary as it sat. The directions that I gave you are what my mother-in-law did.

Unprocessed(raw) honey is going to crystallize not matter what. It's normal & it doesn't hurt the honey, it's not bad. In one of the archived posts, someone said it's because water gets into it, but that's not what causes it(although it CAN cause it to go bad),it has to do with the amount of glucose(sugar) in the honey. Heating it up will fix the crystallization, like others have said.You can put the jar in a pan of water on the stove, or microwave it. Stir it occasionally to mix. However, the more times you heat it, the more it degrades the quality of the honey.It also allows yeast & bacteria to start growing & the honey can go bad.

Earlier posts say to store it at room temp,that cold temp is bad.Not true. If it is raw, unpasturized honey, storing at room temp can cause it to crystallize faster & separate into layers of crystallized sugar & liquid-and the liquid can grow bacteria & yeast,going bad.You can store it at room temp, but keeping it in the fridge or freezer is best. I have honey that is +20 yrs old in my freezer, in quart canning jars.

It's become very dark with age,but is delicious. I keep a small jelly jar in my fridge or on the counter & re-fill from the freezer as it empties by scooping out what I need into a microwave safe bowl & heating it just until it starts to liquefy. If the honey in my little jar crystallizes, I don't re-heat the whole jar. I just scoop out what I need & heat that in the microwave, that way it doesn't keep heating the larger amount & degrading it.

Those little plastic honey bear containers are cute, but impractical because if the honey gets hard,you can't get it out. It is best to store your honey in an airtight jar or container with a wide mouth so you can scoop out what you need.

My gr granddad was a bee keeper for the last 30 yrs of his life. He taught my mom some of what he knew about it. Also, my mom allowed a bee keeper to keep hives on her property for many years. He had hives all over the state of AZ & would harvest it then sell it on a large scale in Phoenix. In return for allowing him to use her property,he gave her a few gallon jars of honey every time he harvested-fresh mesquite honey is the absolute best!! He's the one who told us to store it in the freezer & not re heat it too many times. I also found info by googling that backs up this info, such as http://161.58.48.157/downloads/crystallization.pdf

Set the jar in water and bring to boil. Shut off and let sit. No need to remove the lid. The honey will not turn to sugar again. I have done this a lot of times. I've even sat honey jars on a register in the winter and let the furnace bring it back.

Some people say to store the bottle upside down!

My Mom says it works.

February 11, 2011 Flag

How can you rejuvenate, crystallized and hard honey?

Thanks,

Joe

Answers:

Crystallized and Hard Honey

You can either put it in the microwave and heat it or put the jar in a pot of simmering water. This should dissolve the crystals and is should be a good as new! (09/21/2004)

By Kathy

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Microwave until it is back to it's original state. Then let cool and replace cover, it should stay liquid for months. Honey is the only food that never spoils as long as nothing is added to it. It will keep forever and if it crystallizes again just microwave again. (09/21/2004)

By Barbie

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Place the container of honey in your microwave and start zapping it @ high power for 15 second intervals, watching it very carefully. If not, once it reaches its high point it will boil over. Happy honeying. (09/21/2004)

By jbbnb

Crystallized and Hard Honey

Setting it in a sunny window works well too. (09/21/2004)

By MB in WY

Crystallized and Hard Honey

This worked perfectly for me. I've tried hot water and microwaves, but melted bottle both ways.

This time I put the bottle of honey in the dishwasher and the honey melted perfectly! (with no change to bottle shape) I just put it on top of the dishes (top tray) and ran on the normal setting. You can squeeze the bottle a little and close the lid before dish washing it, but I didn't think of that. (11/26/2010)

By fjwagner

DO NOT MICROWAVE your honey! That kills all of the nutritious enzymes in it. Do not even boil water and place the jar in it. High heat is bad for honey. If it has crystalized, use a bowl of HOT TAP water and set the container in it, submerged above the top of the honey line, and shake the bottle and check the consistency from time to time. Honey should not be heated beyond a drinkable temperature.

March 30, 2010 Flag

Set your jar of honey in a pot of boiling water, lid off and up to crystallization point. Soon the honey will return to its original consistency. How to stop this I have not been completely successful but, I graduate the jar down to the amount of honey and this seems to help. . .

March 30, 2010 Flag

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJanuary 12, 2013
Orange Honey Sauce
Orange Honey Sauce Recipes
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
jar of honey
Honey Cake Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
🎉
🎄