RepairingClothing

Restoring Faded Aloha Shirts

Please help me. I'm 73 years old. I have been dyeing things for decades. I live in Hawaii and have 350 very beautiful aloha shirts. A small amount of these were used. In this part of the world, the sun is very, very strong. Plus being at 3,000 FT. above sea level, the sun really gets strong. Some of these shirts were put in the sun to dry, something I would never do. Well, the outside is faded, but the inside of the shirts is like brand new, full of colors.

When I was a young boy, I remember a process of soaking a damaged shirt like this in some kind of solution for about a week. I cannot remember what it was. It was not Woolite. I don't think it was vinegar, but it could have been a mild bleach solution. The colors would blend back to the other side. What do you think?

Answers

Tide makes a product called Restore. Here is the link: http://www.tide  reForColors.aspx

I'm not sure this would work because you have so many colors on one shirt, but you could try it on one shirt and get back to us.