Reuse Takeout Containers For Leftovers

I save most of the better take-home containers we get from eating out at restaurants, some are quite sturdy. Whenever any of my married kids comes over for a meal at my house, I'll usually send some leftovers home with them for their lunch the next day, even if it's just several brownies out of the pan. It saves them a little money and they get the benefits of Mom's leftovers. It even helps us use up bigger meal leftovers as well.

It saves them from having to remember to bring back my better refrigerator containers or use baggies/plastic wrap/foil. I like walking out of a restaurant with leftovers. I imagine they would get the same "joy" coming from Mom's kitchen.

By leslie from Portsmouth, VA

Anonymous

This is truly such a lovely idea but please only reuse recycle #2, #4 and #5 containers because all of the other containers, including styrofoam, contain harmful chemicals that will leach into food and beverages after their first use.

This is a lovely, thoughtful idea, and has the benefit of reserving your "better" storage containers. Places like Applebee's, for example, have excellent "to-go" boxes. Seems a shame to toss them after just one use. And of course we don't reheat in those plastic containers.

Yes JPJo! exactly...Olive garden just started using some really nice take away containers as well.

And, thanks for the reminder-warning Deeli. Just out of curiousity, I did check my stash of containers and most were #2, but considering the idea didn't contain the suggestion of long term storage or re-heating, I wouldn't think twice about using a "questionable" numbered container for simply transporting food.