Cooking TipsFood Tips

Reusing Disposable Hair Nets

There was a time when, if you handled food being prepared for, or served to, the public, you were required to wear a hair net or other covering which covered all your hair. Not so, today.

A fast food drive by is a good place to see just what is allowed these days. You can have hair down to your kidneys, it can be covered with layers of different colors/flavors of jello, it can be jacked up a mile high with brick hard mousse. It may be covered with two weeks of dead scalp cells and oils. What it won't be covered with, is a hair net. Usually, you will see the worker wearing a little visor like cap. What a ridiculous joke.

I know what happened. The restaurant owners lobbied the state boards to change their laws. You see, most of these type restaurants hire fashion conscious teeny boppers and those in their early twenties. These 'kids' would, I mean like, OMG, they would like literally die if their friends came to the restaurant and saw them wearing a, OMG, like, a hair net. Like gross, dude!

It's as simple as this. To get young restaurant help these days, they must be permitted to wear their hair, no matter how dirty or shedding, uncovered. Only public outcry will get the laws reversed to an acceptable level.

My mama always wore a hair net while she cooked. I admit, I am sometimes lax about that, especially when cooking something for myself that is quick and requires no preparation. You can be sure of one thing. If I am preparing food which will be eaten by others, I always wear a net. And should I need to touch my face for any reason, my hands will be washed before continuing.

I got an excellent deal on disposable hair nets from eBay. It was something like 5-6 dollars and free shipping for a pack of a hundred. One lady asked other buyers if they were washable. I replied, 'Yes, if you are very careful, you can wash and reuse them at least once.

Today, while hanging a washed T shirt on the line to dry, I felt a lump in the pocket. I took out a disposable hair net I had forgotten I had put in there. It was very clean and looked unused. Being washed in the pocket protected it from tearing. Any blouse, shirt, apron pocket should do. I probably could wash it 10 times like this and still have an OK net to wear. That's like getting a thousand for 5-6 dollars.

So, the fast food kiddies can flaunt their unkempt and uncovered tresses. If I should prepare a sandwich or a full course meal for you, you can know, I will be wearing a hair net.

I will wear a hair-net too when I start baking bread for sale. Or anything for sale for that matter. For us at home - well, I reckon a hair band is enough.

I reckon, too. Thanks, Helen.