Reusing Outdoor Christmas Displays

Category Reusing
lighted Christmas reindeer display
When you can no longer get the lights to work on your reindeer or other outside ornament frames, they can be used in the garden in interesting ways. This is a guide about reusing outdoor Christmas displays.

I have been recycling the lighted Christmas frames of the lighted deer that are put outside for decorations. When the lights go out people put them out for trash. If I see them, I will stop and pick them up.

I have 3 deer. I cut off the lights and stake them in my gardens with long tent spikes so they are very sturdy. I then plant a clematis. My favorite is the fall clematis Sweet Autumn as it is a vigorous grower.

In one year I have one deer that is almost completely covered, pruning a bit to conform to the shape of the deer. They really do look great in the garden and keep them out of the landfills. Also they are coated wire so they won't rust and they were free. Have you priced them at the nurseries. Wow!

By cmcmamo from Ballwin, MO

Awesome idea.. thanks for sharing!

I love this idea! I wish I had a green thumb to do that. When the lights go out on my deer I just rewire them. Not hard to do at all. Just buy a set of lights with white wiring an use zip ties to keep them in place.

I'd like to try this in the spring but what can you suggest I do in the interim? We're in Alberta so nothing grows outside here in the winter.

Has anyone wrapped with green garland, fabric or new small LED lights?