Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

We just went through getting painted (what a job) three bedrooms, two and one half baths, kitchen, etc. We used an enormous amount of Bounty towels in the clean-up process. For some reason I saved all the tubes off the towels, why I don't know.

But I knew if I asked my Thrifty Fun friends, I would get some good ideas as to what they can be used for. I hate to throw things out, part of my problem. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Take good care.

By Lindylou31 from New York City

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

What about filling them with the plastic bags from the grocer and stashing them in the car and in with gardening supplies. (07/02/2009)

By notwrong

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

I thought this was a cool project using paper towel tubes: (07/02/2009)

By COflower

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

They are good for storing your necklaces when you travel, or just at home if you don't have anywhere else to put them. Just thread one end of the necklace through, and clasp it shut. You can also cut them in half and do the same with bracelets as well. (07/03/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

Some ways I use them are; slice a line through one side and cap over wire clothes hangers to help slacks not get creases. Fill them with lint from your dryer for easy fire starters when camping. All of those rubber bands can go around them. Roll up your favorite magazine and slide inside to be able to store easier when your in your car waiting or doctors office etc. 2 taped together make cute play binoculars for kids.

By theseamstress

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

Give them to a daycare. The teachers are always needing paper towel rolls for crafts. (07/05/2009)

By Teresa Kay

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

How about using them as a place to store electrical cords like extension cords and laptop computer cords, etc.? (07/05/2009)

By crazyliblady

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

I slice down the side and then slip them over rolls of wrapping paper so I don't have to use tape to keep the paper from unrolling and getting messed up. (07/06/2009)

By tahlula

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

And if none of those ideas suit you, you can always compost them. (07/06/2009)

By Beth

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

Paper towel tubes work very well to extend the reach of your vacuum: one end in the vacuum, the other probing into those hard-to-reach places.

You can also use them to store fabric, if you're a seamstress or tailor.

If you can't think of anything to do with your paper towel tubes, though, you can always Freecycle them. (07/09/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

You can always donate them to a daycare or school for art projects. I always gave my empty powdered formula cans to my sons school and they appreciated it. (07/10/2009)

By michele052002

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

I use mine for stuffing the rag dolls I make. Simply insert the tube into the opening and put the stuffing through the tube. It helps in those hard to get places such as the legs and the arms. (07/30/2010)

By dragonflysue

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

I reuse paper towels, but not usually with another food product. Great for spills and other accidents.

By rosiew55

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

They can also be used:

1. to make legs and arms for paper mache` project.

2. as protectors in packing fragil long items when moving or shipping them.

3. wrapping the streamers, banners, chains, garland or lights from Christmas or other occasssion to store them.

4. to separate cords.

5. vacuum extender for tight places.

6. spy tubes for kids science project or birthday party craft.

7. spacers for separating things that need long spaces and cushioning (07/30/2010)

By wonderlady4crafts

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

Wow! I never gave thought to all of these uses. I especially like putting them on hangers for pants and over the wrapping paper roll.
    Great tips! (07/30/2010)

By paulajeromeg

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

When I change out silk flower arrangements around the house, I fasten a vase worth ends with a rubber band or twister and then insert into the towel tube, which then can be stored upright in a box with the rest. You pull out the tube of flowers you want to use and all stays neat and uncrushed. (07/30/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Reusing Paper Towel Tubes

I have a big mug that I use for a pencil holder on my desk. I cut a paper towel tube into short sections and put as many sections as possible into the mug to keep the pencils standing upright. It seems like more pencils fit in the mug and I can separate the pens from the pencils and the "etc." that end up in it. (07/30/2010)

By tazfan56

Paper towel tube used as a plant support.
Uses for Paper Towel Tubes
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Padded Envelope on White Background
Reusing Mailing Supplies
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Toilet paper tubes made into seedling containers.
Uses for Toilet Paper Tubes