Reviving Dried Out Pens

When your marker stops working, there may be a way to get the ink flowing again. This guide is about reviving dried out pens.

Reviving Dried Out Pens
Filter Sort

Reviving Dried Up Markers

By StellaBell 179 147

My son loves to color, he is constantly asking to get the markers out. He just turned two and this is the first set of markers he has had. I noticed that some of his favorite colors were starting to run dry. I was thinking I ought to buy a new set, until I remembered there was a way to get them working again!

Reviving Dried Up Markers

• cup of warm water

1. First, go through and find all the markers that seem to be running out of ink.
  2. Reviving Dried Up Markers
  3. Then, get a glass and add enough warm water to completely cover the tip of the marker. Some of the ink will leak out of the pen into the water.
  4. I would only add colors of a similar hue to the glass, to avoid the pen from sucking up another color.
  5. Reviving Dried Up Markers
  6. After about 1 minute of letting the marker soak, take it out and dab it dry on to a paper towel. Test it out, then, place the cap back on.
  7. Reviving Dried Up MarkersReviving Dried Up MarkersReviving Dried Up Markers
  8. This way I was able to get a little bit more life out of the pens. But as you can see with the red marker, it will not have much longer to live.
  9. Reviving Dried Up Markers

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Extended Use for Pens

By Monica 296 58

For ink pens that won't write; place the pens upside down in a cup of hot water until the water cools off. Wipe dry and use.

Source: My husband does this and it works very well.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Refreshing Gel Pens

Does anyone know how to resuscitate dry gel pens? They appear to have a lot of color left in them but won't write.

Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Blowing on them only makes them work for a second, as does soaking them in hot water. I've asked around and it seems they tend to do dry out. I have a set of 50 that all dried out shortly after buying them so I just avoid gel pens now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Refresh Dried Marking Pens

Does anyone know how to refresh dried out marking pens? I have a rather new set and have found that most of them aren't any good. is there any way to salvage them? Thank you!

Carol Overton

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I HAVE OFTEN SOAKED THE TIPS SOME IN WATER UNTIL THE TIPS ABSORB A GOOD AMOUNT OF WATER. THEN STORE THEM IN A GOOD ZIPLOC BAG.

WHEN YOU BUY MARKERS IT'S EST TO STORE THEM IN ANY TYPE SEALING BAG. THEY WILL LAST LONGER AND CAN BE REFRESHED.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Craft Ideas for Triangular Highlight Markers

By bMillie 6 6

I was given at least 100 of these triangular high-light markers where most of the three colors: pink, green, and yellow, don't work. I've tried hydrating some of them, but it doesn't work too well. I hate to throw them all away. Any ideas how to use them ?

By Millie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reviving a Dried Out Marker

By Patti 1

How do you revive a dried out magic marker?

By Patti from Portsmouth, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rejuvenating Fabric Pens

By Keeper 58 1,055

My fabric pens dried out. Has anyone successfully rejuvenated their's?

By Keeper

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Reviving a Dried Out Marker

Revive dried-up dry-erase markers by dipping the tip briefly in nail polish remover. Put the cap back on for a few minutes. Test in a corner to make sure it isn't going to damage your whiteboard. There are also water-based, low odor, dry-erase markers that can just be dipped in water like a regular marker. Make sure you know which kind you have!

By Elizabeth Cardell

Feedback:

RE: Revive Dried-up Dry-erase Markers

Thank you! I'll definitely try it and pass it on to fellow teachers! I can never have enough! (08/16/2004)

By sjk

RE: Revive Dried-up Dry-erase Markers

I've found that trying to remove the marking from a dry erase marker on a plastic container can be difficult, if not impossible. It many times leaves a "shadow" of the writing even after scrubbing and bleaching.

So I came up with a way to mark it with the dry erase without leaving the "shadow." I put a strip of scotch tape on the container, then write on the tape. No more "shadows" and the tape is easy to remove. (05/04/2010)

By Cricketnc

Home and Garden Repair OfficeFebruary 14, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pencil
Reviving Dried Pencil Erasers
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
Flower Pens
Making Decorated Ink Pens
Model Magic Clay Pens
Making Model Magic Clay Pens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:11:24 AM on 10.0.2.99 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings