Reviving Dried Out Pens

When your marker stops working, there may be a way to get the ink flowing again. This guide is about reviving dried out pens.

Reviving Dried Out Pens
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My son loves to color, he is constantly asking to get the markers out. He just turned two and this is the first set of markers he has had. I noticed that some of his favorite colors were starting to run dry. I was thinking I ought to buy a new set, until I remembered there was a way to get them working again!

Reviving Dried Up Markers

• cup of warm water

1. First, go through and find all the markers that seem to be running out of ink.
  2. Reviving Dried Up Markers
  3. Then, get a glass and add enough warm water to completely cover the tip of the marker. Some of the ink will leak out of the pen into the water.
  4. I would only add colors of a similar hue to the glass, to avoid the pen from sucking up another color.
  5. Reviving Dried Up Markers
  6. After about 1 minute of letting the marker soak, take it out and dab it dry on to a paper towel. Test it out, then, place the cap back on.
  7. Reviving Dried Up MarkersReviving Dried Up MarkersReviving Dried Up Markers
  8. This way I was able to get a little bit more life out of the pens. But as you can see with the red marker, it will not have much longer to live.
  9. Reviving Dried Up Markers
CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For ink pens that won't write; place the pens upside down in a cup of hot water until the water cools off. Wipe dry and use.

Source: My husband does this and it works very well.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Does anyone know how to resuscitate dry gel pens? They appear to have a lot of color left in them but won't write.

Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Blowing on them only makes them work for a second, as does soaking them in hot water. I've asked around and it seems they tend to do dry out. I have a set of 50 that all dried out shortly after buying them so I just avoid gel pens now.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know how to refresh dried out marking pens? I have a rather new set and have found that most of them aren't any good. is there any way to salvage them? Thank you!

Carol Overton

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I HAVE OFTEN SOAKED THE TIPS SOME IN WATER UNTIL THE TIPS ABSORB A GOOD AMOUNT OF WATER. THEN STORE THEM IN A GOOD ZIPLOC BAG.

WHEN YOU BUY MARKERS IT'S EST TO STORE THEM IN ANY TYPE SEALING BAG. THEY WILL LAST LONGER AND CAN BE REFRESHED.

Read More Answers...

Revive dried-up dry-erase markers by dipping the tip briefly in nail polish remover. Put the cap back on for a few minutes. Test in a corner to make sure it isn't going to damage your whiteboard. There are also water-based, low odor, dry-erase markers that can just be dipped in water like a regular marker. Make sure you know which kind you have!

By Elizabeth Cardell

Answers:

Revive Dried-up Dry-erase Markers

Thank you! I'll definitely try it and pass it on to fellow teachers! I can never have enough! (08/16/2004)

By sjk

Revive Dried-up Dry-erase Markers

I've found that trying to remove the marking from a dry erase marker on a plastic container can be difficult, if not impossible. It many times leaves a "shadow" of the writing even after scrubbing and bleaching.

So I came up with a way to mark it with the dry erase without leaving the "shadow." I put a strip of scotch tape on the container, then write on the tape. No more "shadows" and the tape is easy to remove. (05/04/2010)

By Cricketnc

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair OfficeFebruary 14, 2013
Pencil
Reviving Dried Pencil Erasers
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
Flower Pens
Making Decorated Ink Pens
Model Magic Clay Pens
Making Model Magic Clay Pens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 8:05:24 AM on 10.0.1.104 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.