Rhubarb Pie Recipes

Category Pies
rhubarb pie with a slice gone and stalks next to pie pan
When sweetened rhubarb, a sour perennial vegetable makes a variety of delicious sweet pies. This page contains rhubarb pie recipes.

Whenever I hear the word rhubarb, I always think of my grandma. She made pies every year no matter what. She would only buy rhubarb from a local gardener on her road, he still remembers her fondly. That man is still going strong and I buy it from him now too. It is a family tradition now, every summer I MUST make 2 rhubarb pies. If not, something is seriously wrong! This recipe is the closest to how Grandma's used to taste that I can possibly get it. I have to say, it's really good. Hope you like it!

Total Time: About 30 minutes prep

Yield: 1 pie

Source: Modified from a recipe in an old dutch cookbook

• 1 pastry shell, homemade or store bought
  • Filling
  • 1 1/2 cup cups white flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Topping
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Ad
  3. Mix together your filling of sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl.
  4. Add to rhubarb to bowl and mix well. Place in your pie shell.
  5. Combine eggs and cream and pour over your pie.
  6. Blend together all of your topping ingredients, making sure your butter is softened before hand. Crumble evenly over your pie.
  7. Bake your pie for 35 minutes at 425 F, then reduce your oven temperature to 300 F and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Sounds like something I should try! :-)

This sounds almost the way my x mother-law used to make hers. She wouldn't give me the recipe but she did tell me what she put in it.

I been looking for a recipe similar and will try this one. Unfortunately, for me, we can't grow rhubarb here in south Texas but I could use frozen or canned which is also hard to find. Thanks, I am going to copy it.

Ingredients

• pie crust
  • rhubarb to fill the pie shell (sliced)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar or 1 cup of honey
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
  • 8 oz. container of sour cream (1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup white flour

Directions

Put sliced rhubarb into the pie crust. In bowl, mix together sugar, sour cream, flour and cinnamon and pour these over rhubarb. Bake in an 350 degree F oven for 50 to 65 minutes (usually about an hour) or until sour cream is slightly browned in patches. Wait until this pie cools to get the real sweet and sour yummy taste. If you eat it while it's still hot, not only will the filling not be "set up" but it will taste very sour. But after it cools, it tastes just right! I like sour things so I reduce the sugar to 1 cup.

Note: You should double the recipe and make 2 of these yummy pies, because way back in 1980 when I first tasted this pie (the first time I met my then boyfriends parents) I thought I disliked all pie. But after I tried one slice of this, I couldn't stop myself and kept coming back for more of his mom's wonderful rhubarb cream pie. (I think I had 4 pieces the night we arrived!) Mt. St. Helens blew the next day, turning the whole sky pitch-black (which turned the street lights on at noon!) We had a hard time driving back through all the ash to our jobs at Boeing, but I had her tasty recipe in my pocket! She's since passed on to the happy bakery in the sky, but her recipe lives on, and it's the only pie I'll make. I love it, love it, LOVE IT!

Here's a bunch more rhubarb pie recipes:

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Is there a top crust on this pie?

This page contains strawberry rhubarb pie recipes. The sweet tart combination of strawberries and rhubarb make this pie a favorite.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 cup raw, chopped rhubarb

Topping Ingredients

• 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter

Directions

Mix main ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell.

Mix topping ingredients together. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 30 minutes. Freezes well.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2 cups diced rhubarb
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/8 tsp. salt

Directions

Mix flour and sugar. Add salt and cream, then add beaten egg yolk. Stir well. Beat egg white. Fold into mixture. Spread rhubarb into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Pour cream mixture over rhubarb and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.

By Robin from Washington, IA

On 5/28/04 you had reader request for Rhubarb Pie receipe. This one is my favorite. Comes from the First Mennonite Church Cookbook.

LeAnn R. Ralph0 found this helpful

If you're using the 'old-fashioned' rhubarb with the greenish stalks, add several drops of food coloring. If you're using the Canadian red rhubarb, there's no need for food coloring.

Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, and eggs with a fork. Pour over rhubarb and stir until well coated. Place in unbaked pie shell. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake at 40 minutes more. Must be firm in center.