Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates

My riding mower will start on choke, but when I try to accelerate the mower cuts off. I have cleaned the gas tank and put in a new gas line and filter. I have also put in a new air filter, taken the carburetor off and cleaned it. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Milton H>

Answers:

Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates

Try checking the ignition and the governor. (09/22/2005)

By Annie

Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates

Your gas tank cap is probably dirty and plugged, with it plugged it creates a seal, stopping the gas flow to the carburetor. That is why it will only run with the choke on. So check your gas cap on the tank and clean it. (09/22/2005)

By Mike

Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates

Check the flywheel key, spark plug, and lead going to spark plug. You might check the muffler for oily deposits or obstruction. You can remove the muffler and if it then runs OK replace muffler. Make sure that fuel line isn't kinked.

You said you cleaned carburetor, yet you may have to put in a new kit. Check the carb float for proper setting. Check fuel cap breather hole for obstruction. If all of above are OK, check compression. You may have to overhaul the engine.

I've had to clean carburetors more than once before and make sure that all small holes are cleaned really good. Take a sharp pin or needle and clean them out. Make sure there isn't any rust on the flywheel. Make sure the needle valve in carburetor is moving freely. Make sure governor linkage isn't bent. Good luck. (09/23/2005)

By DarrellG

Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates

There are 3 things you need for a motor to go: spark, compression and petrol. If there is spark at the plug rule that out. If there is compression then check the petrol if it goes when choke is out, but not when accelerating. It sounds as if it is a blockage. Is there a filter built into the carburetor? I found this out on one of my mowers on the weekend. Check the jets as they could be blocked and also that the main needle if it has one, isn't jammed. Hope this helps. Brent (10/31/2005)

By rustyreks

Riding Mower Dies When It Accelerates
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎄