Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear

Category Tools
It can be difficult to determine why your lawn mower motor is not running right. This guide is about riding mower dies when put in gear.

I have a John Deere zero turn lawn mower. I can start my mower, but when I put it in gear it dies. Why? What can I do?

Are you remembering to close the choke when you put it in gear?

Anonymous

From this website: The switch is under the seat. Disconnect the switch and re-connect. It worked for the person who had the same problem as you.

Did you check the switch located under the seat? Try to disconnect and reconnect.

When my Craftsman riding mower has the blade engaged and is put into forward gear at the same time it dies. Does anyone know why?

By Robert

The switch is under seat, disconnect and reconnect.

TY IT WORKED (Y)

I have a Murray model 405000X8 13.5HP riding mower. It starts fine, but when I put it in gear to go forward or reverse it dies. It also dies when I turn the mower blade on. It sounds like a kill switch problem. Thanks for your help.

By Walt

Our John Deere mower does this too. We charge the battery and away we go. Seems like it doesn't have enough umpf to do anything else but start. Try it, won't hurt.

Michelle's answer sorted this problem for me. Many thanks

When you engage the mower or the gears the engine rpm should go up if that does not happened it could be the governor or the speed advanced module,most likely the module

I have a Murray model 46573x92 riding mower. It starts but dies when I put in gear

Anonymous

My mower wae doing the same thing found the safety switch underneath seat was unplug plugged it in now everything a okay

The engine on my riding mower will start and run while the clutch is pushed in. Let off on clutch and engine dies. I have cleaned the carb with cleaner and installed new spark plugs.

By Jean

The engine on my riding mower will start and run while the clutch is pushed in. Let off the clutch and engine dies.

DSL Craftsman 3500 engine starts and runs but when I engage clutch two blade or try to move by letting out clutch mower turns off

I have a Murray riding mower model 405000X8. It starts fine and idles fine. Put it in gear and it dies. It also dies when I engage the blade. It will not go forward or backward without shutting down. Thanks for your help.

By Walt

Are you giving it enough power. Safety features require you to be seated with the brake on when you put it in gear or reverse so it doesn't jump. It will not mow in reverse, another safety feature. Perhaps you know all this.

Another thought, how's the fuel filter?

I have a 2008 Toro Z5000 riding lawnmower. All of a sudden it won't keep running. It starts no problem with the choke open, but as soon as you pull back on the throttle it stalls out. Any ideas? The air cleaner looks fine, also fuel filter. Gas seemed OK.

By johnvt from Burlington, VT

Look for a sticking valve in your carburetor. try spraying it down with carb cleaner. Sounds like youve got a needle sticking open, and it cant compensate with the fuel, flooding itself out.

you know what that means, your lawnmower flywheel has electromagnets on it and when a safety switch is not engaged in corrolation one magnet is not "on" check your seat, mower, and transmission in neutral, those switches could be the culprit.