Riding Mower Keeps Stalling

Category Lawn Mowers
You are out cutting the lawn and your mower keeps stalling, this can be so frustrating. This is a guide about when your riding mower keeps stalling.

Husqvarna Riding Mower on grass.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Trying to figure out why your lawn mower keeps stalling can be difficult. This is a guide about Husqvarna riding mower keeps stalling.

John Deere Riding
Mower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fixing a John Deere riding mower that keeps stalling. There could be a number of reasons for your riding mower to stall, especially if it is the first time you are using it for the season.

Riding Mower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower keeps stalling. It is very frustrating when your mower keeps stalling. Sometimes you can make the repairs yourself.

My mower which is a Yard Machine runs for a while then it shuts off, but won't start until it cools down. I need to know what the problem is because my yard looks like a forest.

Check the gas cap vent. When the engine starts to want to fail, unscrew the cap and see if it kicks back up.

The carborateur may need to be cleaned out.

you might need to replace the diaphragm-lowes has them

My Cub Cadet riding mower starts and runs for about 45 seconds and shuts down. Please help?

Make sure the carburetor is clear.

Check the fuel tank and fuel switch first to make sure your fuel is getting through. If it's been sitting around a while, you'll need to clean the carbs.

You are closing the choke after starting it? (you should be). Also, it can get a vacuum like a car, so slightly crack open the lid to the gas tank.

I have a Craftsman LT2500 riding mower and it stalled out and won't start back up. It will if I let the engine cool down for a bit. What could be the problem?

Sounds like you flooded the gas tank.

How is its oil level? If the engine is over filled and smells like gas the problem is in the carburetor.

You do not say if your mower has been recently or if it has been in storage for a while so this could make a difference in what your problem may be.

Maybe someone from Sears could help as they do answer questions like this as well as supply free manuals:

http://www.sear  ctor-repair.html

http://www.sear  247/1509200.html

My zero turn keeps on bugging out even though I replaced the fuel line, cleaned out the gas tank, and ran a wire hanger through the fuel line. And it is still bugging out. Can someone please help me out?

Is the ignition set too high so that you periodically flood the engine? If it starts up easily enough after a pause, this might be the cause.

Try it with the gas cap off. If it runs, you may have a clogged vent.

bad carburetor?

I recently purchased a used Yardman as a backup to my new Troybilt and it stalls after about 20 minutes of mowing. I replaced the starter solenoid on advice from a friend after jumping across the pos/neg and it started. After replacing it I mowed again and after about 20 minutes the same thing happened. I jumped it across pos/neg again it started, but this time I parked it and went back later and it started. I guess it doesn't always mean a bad solenoid if you can jump across it and start it!

Anyway I have replaced fuel filter, shortened and rerouted the fuel line, added fresh gas, removed and cleaned the carb, and still the same thing. Could it be the safety switch getting hot or the fuel solenoid? I haven't tried either one yet and haven't checked the spark, but runs fine for 20 minutes so I doubt spark plug. Thanks for any advice!

Update! Replaced spark plug and air filter is new. Also I tried pulling choke slightly when going under an incline as it started stalling and the engine smoothed out and it kept running. I read on another post that maybe the fuel filter is too small. I replace what I thought looked like a very small solid color filter that was barely bigger than the fuel line with a small clear normal looking filter I wonder could this still be too small. Someone mentioned 75 micron filter is best I don't know what size the one I out on is because I picked up 2 of them at a bargain Chinese tool outlet of sorts. They had bigger ones even so I might try that. Anyway thought I would mention the filter.

We are having the exact same problem. Did you ever get this resolved last year?

I am having the same problem with a craftsman mower hVE REPLACED THE IGNITION COIL disabled the antibackfire solinoid on the bottom of the carb i have decided it has to be something elec. that heats up am thinking about doing away with all the safety devices and wireing it like the old mowers one wire from the switch to the coill and two wire to the starter it is so frustrating to mow for 5 min. and it splutters and dies and has to sit for about 15 min. before it will run again

The engine starts and runs fine until I release the clutch and then the engine dies.

By ritasrentalsfrom Charleston, SC

did you check the Governor

My Poulan 42 inch deck, 16.5 hp, 6 speed riding mower shuts down when I try to engage the blades. It is less than a year old. What could be wrong?

By Gloria74 from Navarre, FL

You may want to check out the safety switches. For example,on my riding mower if I lift up off the seat while the mower is running it will shut down.

Our John Deer (DON'T BUY ONE) does this also, we have to let it warm up some even if it is warm out, then it will stay running and the blades will operate ok. good luck! sometimes i have to try to start blades several times before it stops killing the engine and will go.

My Yardmachine starts, but cuts off.

By Hurlston from West Palm Beach, FL

When I engage the clutch pedal to place mower in gear it kills the engine. It's been running great for 6 1/2 yrs. Can you help me? I think it may be a safety switch? If I knew where it was at on mower!

By Robert