Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a lawn tractor with a basic starting problem. When I turn the key in the ignition I hear a click, but the engine won't crank up. I have removed the fuse and there is no click when I turn the key. I am assuming that there is power running to the ignition switch. The fuse test proves this. Is my problem likely to be the ignition switch or the starter motor (if such a thing exists on a lawn tractor)?

Brian from Dublin, Ireland

Answers:

Riding Mower Won't Start

I bought a battery charger for 40 bucks at an automotive store. Whenever my mower doesn't start it is because the battery is low or dead. I hook up the charger start the mower then disconnect the charger. If you want to charge the battery before you use your mower Sears has a battery charger for 50 bucks that shuts off when the battery is charged. (02/24/2009)

By Harry

Riding Mower Won't Start

Take your battery to a local automotive store and have them check it. Chances are it needs to be replaced and that will solve your problem. Marylee (02/25/2009)

By Marylee

Riding Mower Won't Start

What the thieves at John Deere won't tell you is to check your relay (it is under the seat on the STX 38). Over the years, because they believe in making money over serving their customers they have sold me a starter, two ignitions, and a coil module, because I would not bring my tractor in for them to fix it. It is a part of the ignition/starting system that commonly fails and only costs fifteen dollars. Pass this on. (05/05/2009)

By vpedwards

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄