Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a 2002 Craftsman rider. It would barely turn over so I charged the battery overnight. Now, when I turn the key, there is just a loud, very rapid clicking that sounds like it is coming from up near the ignition. Every once in a while the engine turns a rotation or two, but then stops.

By Richard from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Riding Mower Won't Start

I don't know what else you've tried, but I'll start with the first things that came to my mind.

1. Check that there's gas in the tank.
  2. Change the spark plug (or plugs?).
  3. Check that there's oil.
  4. Check the air filter (maybe it completely clogged).

You may have to look at the manual to figure out the correct things for this mower: the correct spark plug, filter, and oil mixture. If you don't have a manual, check online for one. And Sears (it's a Craftsman) would have the correct items for this mower. (09/20/2010)

By Joanne

Riding Mower Won't Start

My car had a similar problem. Perhaps your contacts on the battery are corroded. Use Coca Cola and/or sandpaper to clean the contacts. In our case, we also had to replace the battery cable terminals. (09/22/2010)

By purrna2go

Riding Mower Won't Start

Just in case others have had this problem, I will tell you what fixed mine. I started to notice that the key did not work in the ignition switch like it did when new. I decided to order a new switch for my mower. Once the new switch was installed (which is a simple task) the mower starts like new. It did not even spit and sputter while I was using it (03/27/2011)

By hkhicks