Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Roasted Chickpeas Recipe

This page contains roasted chickpeas recipe. Garbanzo beans can be roasted for a delicious crunchy snack.

I had never thought about eating chickpeas until I saw a cooking demonstration on our local TV station. They were tasting them and saying how good they were. I pulled up the recipe on their website and the recipe they have is from Chop Chop magazine.

They are quite good and have a nutty taste when roasted. This is the second time I have baked some, but did not add the cayenne pepper as hubby does not like it hot. I'll be making some for Christmas for everyone to snack on. Some of it will have cayenne pepper, for our son-in-law who will love it hot.

Prep Time: 10-15 minutes

Cook Time: 25-35 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Source: local TV station

• 15.5 oz chickpeas (can), drained and rinsed with cold water
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Drain chickpeas and rinse in cold water.
  3. Pour in a strainer to drain water off.
  4. Roll drained chickpeas on a layer of paper towels to dry.
  5. Related Content(article continues below)
  6. Mix together the chickpeas, oil, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
  7. Layer on baking sheet.
  8. Bake 25-35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  9. They should come out crunchy and golden brown. Let cool.
  10. Enjoy.

I make these all the time. A terrific snack.

LG,

Thanks for posting this. I may have found another food to eat. If all I had eaten was boiled peanuts, I would not like peanuts. But roasted, delicious. Roasting has a way of bringing out hidden flavors. I'm sure it's the same with chick peas. Glad you showed a picture of the canned peas. I was wondering where I could get some to try.

Doug

I am going to try these, I have had them before but never roasted. I am looking forward to serving them. I like the snowflake under the bowl, that is really pretty ;)

---Robyn

Doug, I found the Hanover Garbanzo Beans Chick Peas at Walmart. You will have to try them. It's a healthy snack. Probably need to cut back a little on the salt.

Robyn, I'll tell my husband that you like the snowflake. He likes to doodle and traced it on a piece of paper then cut it out. It came in handy. I'll probably use it on the table Christmas.

Easier, cheaper and healthier to find dried garbanzo beans (i.e., chick peas) at a store with bulk bins. That way you can cook them to the desired crunchiness (as opposed to the canned and overcooked mushy version) and omit salt altogether if your blood pressure is high. Experimenting with different herbs and spices is fun and absolutely no oil required. E-mail wordswork@telus.net for my fat-free and oh-so-tasty version.

If your Roasted Chickpeas are not crisp when you get ready to eat them, stick them in the oven and toast them for a few minutes. Mine have been a big hit. One comment was, "They taste kinda like chicken!!"

This would be a great snack to pack in kid's lunch box!!

Thanks so much for this recipe! And I loved your step by step photos. What a wonderful item to add to my healthy eating routine!

I had a similar recipe calling for ranch dressing mix. Then I saw a variety of popcorn flavorings at the store including a ranch one and they work really well too. If you can't find the popcorn flavorings at your store you can order lots of them on line.

Recipes Using Chickpeas
Recipes Using Chickpeas
Food and Recipes Recipes SnacksJanuary 26, 2017
Roasted Bell Pepper
Roasted Bell Pepper Recipes
Roasted Garlic
Making Roasted Garlic
Crunchy Chickpea Snacks
Crunchy Chickpea Snacks
Photo of homemade hummus.
Homemade Hummus Recipes
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 4:13:43 PM on 10.0.1.205 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.