Roasting Chestnuts

What recipe do you use to 'roast' chestnuts? I want another alternative to the 'open fire' (there's a song that refers to roasting chestnuts on an open fire) method. :-)

MrsJean from USA

Answers:

Roasting Chestnuts

I just bake them in the oven. Make an X on the flat side, put them on a baking sheet and cook 350° for about 15-20 minutes. I stir them around once in a while to be sure they cook evenly. When they are done, just shell them at the X. The shells will be HOT. (10/14/2005)

By eve w

Roasting Chestnuts

I take a sharp knife and slice into each chestnut. Then put them in a fry pan and turn on the stove, stirring frequently. Simple. (10/16/2005)

By Terry Lynn

Roasting Chestnuts

There are those "homeovens" like a pot with a hole in the middle, and a lid (you mnay use it inside the oven,lidless, to make an easy-cutcake), and we roast chestnuts, peabuts,mand dried broad beans in that. Alternatively,one of those grill-type electric ovens.
Remember to slash a cross-cut at the top so the chestnuts won't explode with the pressure build-up.
Tanja (10/18/2005)

By zxcvbnm

Roasting Chestnuts

You can also do them in the microwave... Just cut a slit and lay them on a paper towel put in for about 2-3 minutes be careful they do blow up (Hint: if they do blow up it usually means there is a worm inside, make sure you look). My nana did this for us every year... (10/22/2005)

By DEBORAH LYNN