Roasting Squash Seeds

Close up of roasted squash seeds
This is a guide about roasting squash seeds. Squash seeds are in general edible, and can be yummy snack when roasted.

Can seeds from acorn or butternut squash be roasted like pumpkin seeds?

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous
Best Answer

Hi Maryeileen. :-) You can use any pumpkin seed recipe for roasting other winter squash seeds and just make adjustments if needed. I have a Martha Stewart recipe for 'Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds' somewhere so I'll search for it, type it out and post it here in the next few hours. In the meantime, here's a plain alternate way to toast the squash seeds:

Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

You will need salt and olive oil.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Separate the seeds from the stringy core and rinse the seeds.

In a small saucepan, add the seeds to water, about 2 cups of water to every half cup of seeds. Add a half tablespoon of salt for every cup of water (more if you like your seeds saltier). Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.

Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of a roasting pan or baking sheet. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack until the seeds begin to brown, about 10 to 20 minutes. When browned to your liking, remove from the oven and let the pan cool on a rack. Let the seeds cool all the way before eating. Either crack to remove the inner seed or eat whole.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Okay, found the 'Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seed' recipe in my piles of paper recipe collections. Martha makes the directions way too complicated and hoity-toity for my liking so I typed out differently than she does it so as to be easier to follow and I gave oil choices, too. ;-)

Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds, cleaned and dried

5 tbsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground ginger

Pinch of cayenne pepper

1 1/2 tbsp peanut, corn or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Spread seeds in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake until dry, stirring occasionally and cool on a rack.

Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne in a medium bowl.

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat; add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook until sugar melts and pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds.

Transfer to spice bowl, stir well to coat and cool at room temperature.

Also, during my search I came across this next recipe that I had completely forgotten about (I don't remember where I originally found it):

Curried Pumpkin Seeds

1 egg white

2 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Whisk together the egg white, curry powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add the pumpkin seeds and toss well. Drain off excess egg white in a colander and place seeds in a single layer in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet.

Bake about 12 minutes or until the seeds are golden. Sprinkle with more curry powder and/or salt when they come out of the oven, if desired, and cool at room temperature.

Has anyone ever toasted seeds other than pumpkin or sunflower? We just cooked a turban squash today and it had huge seeds. Has anyone ever toasted any squash seeds and how did they taste?

Sheri from Rathdrum, Idaho

Answers:

Roasting Squash Seeds

Yes, I have roasted seeds from acorn squash, they tasted very similar to pumpkin seeds. Very good. (12/04/2008)

By phototer

Roasting Squash Seeds

I can't say that I've roasted squash seeds other than pumpkin, but a pumpkin is a kind of squash. So why not? (12/08/2008)

By Merlene

Roasting Squash Seeds

Yes. We've roasted the seed from most of our winter squash (of all sorts) for years. Squash seeds in general are edible, and any big enough to look like snack food work great. (On a whim, I once tried roasting seeds from summer squash, yellow and zucchini. They were pretty good as an added ingredient to a nut bread. But it was too much work for too little yield for me to recommend that.)

So, roast your squash seeds and enjoy! (12/09/2008)

By sterghe

Roasting Squash Seeds

Yes, I've roasted acorn squash seeds. We like them better than pumpkin seeds.

(12/09/2008)

By Judy