Roof Repair for Low Income Homeowners

Category Roof
Low income homeowners often can not afford the cost of roof repairs. Searching for agencies or organizations that might help with the costs may be their only solution. This is a guide about roof repair for low income homeowners.

I need a new roof, but I can't afford one. Is there any agency where I can get some help?

Answer Was this helpful? 15

Would put food on table

My roof is leaking in two rooms is there any help out there for low income seniors on disability water is coming in two bedrooms please let me know

Needs help getting repairs.

I'm on disability and need help with getting a new roof. Where can I get help please?

Best Answer

The US Department of Agriculture provides loans and grants to senior citizens and disabled persons. Go to this website to see if you qualify: https://www.rd.  air-loans-grants

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)

US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.

Benefit Types:

Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.

Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.

Benefits Enrollment Center

It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

I"m in DOUBLE SPRINGS ALABAMA

I live in Illinois and am unemployed. I have been experiencing leaking issues with my roof. It's so bad it's raining in my dining room. I can't find any programs or funding programs. I need suggestions for help in the suburban area of Illinois.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

It is very difficult to be unemployed and need help for home repairs! Try this federal government site for possible help:

https://www.dis  ity.gov/resource ... for-low-income-families-individuals/

Also try an online search for "home repair low income family".

Good Luck!

I am a low income widow in need of finding a grant to assist with roof repair. I am having very bad leaks.

By June

Best Answer

I do not know what state or even "country" you live in but it may be difficult to acquire a "grant" for roof repair. You may be able to find a local organization that sometimes help families in very needy situations.

Perhaps you could check with your church to see if they will help or if they have a list of organizations that help in these situations. There may also be a list of organizations in your local telephone book - generally in the front - that you can call for information. Also dialing 211 in your area may help you find someone to help.

I can tell you that help may not be plentiful right now and the criteria is very strict - but if you qualify - someone may be able to do repairs - but not a completely new roof.

Best Answer

Sometime your local City or County Community Service will help you or have someone who will do it cheap, my Husband was working part time as a Roofer for Mobile Homes and ran into a "trailer Park of Elderly people" that needed their Roofs patched. He didn't hesitate to fix them just for cost. He knew they didn't have much money. He's passed on now but there's other good hearted people out there. so call the City Community Service, under your City's name, and ask.

Best Answer

If you are in the United States, apply for Energy Assistance. It is a national program, LIHEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program), which is administered by each state. Call 211 to find out where you would apply. I worked for them years ago, and know that there is a section on the application that asks if you need some type of help repairing your home, including the roof.

Is there any one or place we can go to get help replacing our roof? We have very low income and my son has medical problems. We have no money to get it done.

By Tracy

Best Answer

I assume you have a social worker with the Department of Social services/Welfare Office. Talk to them, they should know about this nationwide organization that helps with things like that. It is called different names in different towns.

Several years ago, my sister had them do some repairs on her house, but you also have to stay in the house for a certain number of years or pay it back on a pro-rated basis. They also don't rush right in and do the repairs. You do have to meet income guidelines, and just because you feel hard up, doesn't necessarily mean you are.

How old is your son? I assume he receives Medicaid or disability. You should be keeping up with repairs that are needed while they are small, then it wouldn't be so hard to have the repairs made. I am so thankful I sold my house back in 1983 and have lived in apartments since then. When something needs to be repaired I call the manager and it gets taken care of. I didn't get rich selling my house, the proceeds after paying it off had to be split between my ex-husband and myself.

Best Answer

I live in York County, PA and have the same problem. I found out that the York County planning commission has a program for people in our situation. It takes several steps in the process but if it works out it is worth it. It is basically a no interest loan that only comes due if you sell the house. They also provide the contractors. There is an option to use your own but they will have to bid with the others to qualify. Hope this helps! Google stuff in your area for your county's planning commission.

I am 51. My roof is falling in and has mold on the outside. My ceilings are also falling in on the inside of my house from the roof leaking. Now I have black mold growing in my installation. I do not have the money to fix this; I live on 735 dollars a month. I cannot get a loan because the house is in such bad shape, and also my credit rating is not good.

I have my daughter living with me and we are staying sick all the time from the mold and it is getting worse by the day. Is there anywhere that I can get help to repair this? I do not have the money to pay for these repairs.

I would suggest churches, Habitat for Humanity, Family Services, and the Boy Scouts. The reason I say Boy Scouts, is because years ago I know one area where a boy scout started a program to help people in your situation as his Eagle Scout project.

I am in desperate need of a new roof, but I do not have the money. I have tried to get a loan, but my credit is not too good. I am a single mother. Can someone tell me where I can find help?

There are programs that provide assistance via grants for home repair, however, the process to apply for specific programs takes time and patience. The site below explains some programs and and provides information on how to apply for assistance:

http://www.geek  -low-income.html

Good Luck!

I'm in dire need of a roof and can't get a loan. I'm the only income in my home and make under 30,000 a year. Community assistance is overwhelmed with people needing assistance. Does anyone have suggestions for me? I live in Alabama. I'm really stressed and can't get help from anywhere.

I live in North West Florida-Pensacola and we have a "211" number you can call for all needs...check & see if you have that service in your area....also Catholic Social Services & United Way are wonderful help!

Call your township and ask for help some have contractors that you can call who will give you a discounted rate. If all else fails start getting figures on patching the roof. My township has a program that will loan you the money to put a new roof on and you don't have to payback the money unless you sell your house but that's for seniors only. I live in Illinois.

I live in Gallup New Mexico. I have guardianship of 3 kids and a single uncle. My roof has been leaking and I need help. We are on a very fixed income. We are looking for a new roof, but can't find the money for it. Is there any agency out there that would help? Thanks.

Finding home repair help can be difficult! A very easy online search for "low income home repair new mexico" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself and this US Department of Housing, etc., site to start. The people there will try to help you or suggest other resources.

http://portal.h  ship/homerepairs

I live in South Carolina. How do I go about getting my roof fixed? It's a family house owned by my uncle. He receives disability and so do I. Is there anyone in the Horry county area that could help us?

Your uncle can try:

http://www.elde  te-resources.htm

Scroll down to your state.

I am a pre-k teacher in South Dakota, living way below the low income line. My roof is in desperate need of repair. I have water coming in. I have a great credit score which allows me to apply for any loan I want, but I can not afford any extra payments a month due to my tight budget.

I'm already selling off my personal belongings just to make payments on my winter utilities. I was hoping to find some kind of grant or organization that helps with free roof repairs. I'm so lost on what I can do to fix this huge problem before it gets any worse. Please help me!

By Ms. J

You didn't say if you are a Senior or how big the leak is. If you are a Senior there might be a State program to help seniors get a new roof. In my state they pay all of the roofer's bill and charge you 6% per yr on the cost. The only time you pay for it is when you sell or move out of the house. Call your town hall to find a Senior Services Dept.

Check you homeowner's insurance policy-if the damage is the result of bad weather they will give you money to repair or replace the roof. For this I suggest that you call at least 3 roofing company's and get their expert opinions. Keep in mind all that water coming into your house could be damaging your walls and supporting roof beams. Mold is another bad problem-once it starts it can make you very sick so get this leak fixed asap. If you sell the house and the home inspector discovers it has mold it could cost you $20.00 per square foot or more to remove it.

If it's a small leak go to a big box type store for some roof repair goop that can be painted on over the leak area. Ask them for a few names & phone numbers of men who you could hire to do the job for you.

Good luck.

Try Habitat of America call & ask them for help.

Where can I find financial aid for roof repair in Clarksburg? My mom and dad's roof is in need of serious repair and I don't have the money to do it. Can any one offer assistance?

By Robert

Where is Clarksburg? Are you in the USA? If you are, then contact your local DFS office (division of family services) and ask them. They should have a listing of resources. Many churches (larger ones) may also have a resource list.

I live in Ohio and I just found out I need a new roof on my house. I am totally disabled and live on Social Security only. I have no other assets. Where I find help?

By BJP

There is a nationwide organization that helps seniors and disabled people with home repairs. I can't tell you the name of it because it has different names in different locations, even in different cities in the same state. I THINK most of the time it is referred to as Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL). They go by income, and let's face it some people get a large amount for disability.

I have a friend who between disability from the state where she was injured on the job, Federal government disability(SSD), her retirement SS and her ex-husbands retirement SS, she gets well over $2,000 a month and complains about not being able to do this or that. I live off $700 a month retirement SS and manage to get by.

That being said back in 1983 I decided to move into an apartment (I was 43), and don't have to worry about lawn care, snow removal, etc. I also don't have to worry about home repairs, heat, water, sewer, garbage, and my cable is also included in the rent as a thank you for renting from the landlord.

That being said, if a person does get help from the nationwide organization, they have to stay in the home for a certain number of years or else pay back on a pro-rated basis. I have a sister who got help from them and ended up having to go into a nursing home, and when her house was sold, a portion of what she made on the sale had to go to pay back the organization that repaired her home. There is also a waiting list to get this help.

Speak with your social worker/welfare worker at the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Also I don't know if the Salvation Army where you live would help. This summer in the city where I live they have volunteers from different businesses that are volunteering to paint houses for seniors. My guess is for the repairs that you need they would have to find volunteers from a building supply place or something. Your best bet will be to ask questions.