Rooting Christmas Cactus

What type of potting mixture do I replant Xmas Cactus cuttings in after they've rooted? Can I leave them in water?

By elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Rooting Christmas Cactus

I've actually purchased cactus soil mix. It's very light and doesn't hold a lot of moisture. Check your garden center. I've had one of my Christmas cacti almost 21 years. Just keep repotting it. (07/21/2009)

By lafclayton

Rooting Christmas Cactus

Any old dirt that doesn't have water retaining clay in it, will work fine. The dirt is not at all critical with those leafy "cacti". What is important to get a nice crop of flowers is wind. They look fragile, but they love the wind. The more wind they get in summer and fall, the more flowers they produce.

The same applies to leaf "cacti" that bloom at Easter, Pentecost or midsummer. With enough wind, they will produce flowers that will knock your socks off. For an example that bloomed yesterday, have a look at dawna.com

When it blooms, dad brings it into his winter garden. The rest of spring, summer and fall it hangs in a chain basket under the eaves.

Have fun!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor
(07/22/2009)

By DearWebby

Rooting Christmas Cactus
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Rooting Hormone
Make Your Own Rooting Hormone
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
🎉
🎄