Rose of Sharon Photos

Category Garden
pinkish purple bloom
Rose of Sharon is the common name used to refer to several flowering shrubs from varying parts of the world, frequently the Hibiscus syriacus. This is a guide about rose of Sharon photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
This bush was planted 17 years ago, when my grandparents built this house from the ground up. Every year in the middle of summer it blooms, and has tons of bees swarming around it (as you can see in the picture).

Photo Location
My house, Michigan

Comment Like this photo? 5
Top Comment

Good job on the picture! Beautiful flower, love it that you were able to capture the bee in it as well. Cool! :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Top Comment

Love this picture. Very pretty, catches the peacefulness of nature.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I planted a woody hibiscus tree that my husband dug up on the side of the road; I didn't know if it would thrive or not. My husband calls it "swamp cotton" because of the beauty of the blossom that looks like a cotton blossom. It is an exquisite decoration to my yard.

By WandaJo from Collierville, Tennessee

white flower with scarlet center

Comment Like this photo? 7
Top Comment

Aren't these beautiful?! My nephew planted a few of these when we bought our home over 20 years ago. Now they are like weeds and surround my house. Mine are all different colors, pink, white, purple. Hummingbirds love them.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
This gorgeous lady was blooming at our local zoo, in their garden area. She obligingly posed for me. I loved this color against the background of orange flowers.

Photo Location
Henry Doorly Zoo, NE

Comment Like this photo? 4

Photo Description
I picked the hibiscus blossoms and made an arrangement with dried oak leaf hydrangea blossoms.

Photo Location
My home

Comment Like this photo? 2

Here is a Japanese beetle having a snack in my rose of sharon blossom. It is in my back yard. This year is the first year that the entire bush is covered with blossoms.

By Lovingnature

Comment Like this photo? 4

Wild rose of Sharon after a summer shower.

By Chuck from Canton, OH

This woody hibiscus was literally "plucked" from the side of the road. My husband was on a road call for his company - he is a diesel mechanic. He spotted these plants growing on the side of the road in a ditch. He brought it home and I rooted it and planted it in a pot. This is the first year it has bloomed. We enjoy it and it is special to me because my husband "picked" it for me and brought it home. It attracts red throated hummingbirds and that is a joy to watch the hummingbirds feeding in the beautiful pink blooms

By WandaJo from Collierville, TN

Answers:

Woody Hibiscus

Pretty!(08/03/2006)

By Jean in GA

Woody Hibiscus

Pretty and how special. (08/03/2006)

By meoowmom

Woody Hibiscus

Looks like a Rose of Sharon to me. (08/03/2006)

By SueBee

Woody Hibiscus

That's doubly-special because it's unique and so lovely, but more importantly your husband took the time to bring it to you! You must treat him like a king? (08/03/2006)

By Lynda

Woody Hibiscus

Our oldest son gives me one of these on Mother's Day every year and they are just beautiful. I also enjoy them. (08/04/2006)

By Trudy

Woody Hibiscus

Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon's flowers do look alike, but the leaves are larger on a hibiscus (like that one) and a rose of Sharon grows much larger, in a tree. Mine are huge and I just started a hibiscus from seed this year so it will be a while before I get flowers. (08/04/2006)

Woody Hibiscus

That is very lovely, but it is a rose of Sharon, not a hibiscus (08/04/2006)

By darrice

Woody Hibiscus

Thank you for clarifying what this plant is; I have heard them called Woody Hibiscus - in fact my mother called them by that name. I love them and to watch the hummingbirds feed on them is a treat. (08/04/2006)

By WandaJo

Woody Hibiscus

A rose of Sharon is a hibiscus (a woody hibiscus), botanical name "hibiscus syriacus"

By Susan from ThriftyFun (08/04/2006)