Rotating Your Tires

Category Maintenance
Closeup of a tire.
Moving your tires from front to back can extend the life of your tire tread, which saves you money. This guide is about rotating your tires.

For most cars, if you rotate your tires every 3,000 - 8,000 miles (depending on your tire's recommendation), you will have even wear on all four of your tires. This will ultimately allow your tires to last much longer! On average, a set of brand new tires last me at least 4 years!

Essentially, tire rotation is moving the back tires to the front, and front to the back. Personally, I visit a nearby tire shop that with complimentary rotate my tires because I service my other cars there, so that is very nice! This place also provides free air service and nail patch, if needed. You may have to call around to see if any tire shops offer that kind of service.

When buying new tires or having the ones that are currently on your car rotated, ask to have the rims installed by hand, instead of with an impact wrench. With an impact wrench, sometimes they'll cross thread them. If this happens and later on you have a flat tire out on the roadway, you'll not be able to get the wheel off to change it. Or, the next time you have your tires rotated they'll have to break the bolts off to get your wheel off. (this is from experience)

By Terri H.

Have your tires rotated every 5,000 miles. When you do, also have them check the air pressure in each of them. Some of the time, spare tires are usually found low or already flat.

By T.H.