Rotten Fish Smell in the House

I recently cooked some bad fish, not knowing it was bad. When I cut into it the smell of ammonia came streaming out. Now I cannot get that smell out of the house. I have tried candles, a bowl of vinegar, and Lysol spray. It is getting less prominent but I can still smell it after leaving the house for awhile then coming back in.

By Brandi_79 from HI

Answers:

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

I'd open the house up and let it air out really well. If you have a couple of fans this would help. Other smells are just going to add to the smells, not remove anything. (05/13/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

Put many little bowls of vinegar (any kind) all over your house and all the odor will be gone in 1 or 2 days. You can also put half vinegar & half water in a spray bottle & spray this around your home and also in the air. If all else fails, rent an Ozone machine from a rental store. Amazing machines!

P.S. Are you sure none of that fish got on anything that hasn't yet been cleaned? (05/13/2009)

By Cyinda

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

Have you checked your kitchen sink drain? Sometimes odors can linger there and sneak back when you're not looking. Pour some baking soda and vinegar down it and follow with a boiling water chaser. (05/21/2009)

By Lynn

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

Buy some Fresh-Wave. It comes in crystal and spray form. It eliminates odors. You can check it out on the internet www.fresh-wave.com, and maybe find where to buy in your area. (05/21/2009)

By WIsgal

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

When I was steaming some cabbage, I let the water evaporate and then the cabbage and pot sort of burned. The smell was bad. I simmered some vinegar in water in a little saucepan for a while and then turned off and let the pot of vinegar sit overnight. The smell was completely gone the next morning. Perhaps this would work for your bad fish smell. (05/22/2009)

By Debbie52

Rotten Fish Smell in the House

I got some bad shrimp and couldn't stand the smell after a week. My mother-in-law told me to take a few apples and cut them in half, and after 3 days the smell was gone. (06/11/2009)

By battlespire

Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 20, 2016 at 12:18:04 AM on 10.0.1.129 in 952 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.