Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

The meat in my freezer spoiled. I cleaned the freezer out with soap and bleach. But the rotten meat smell is still there and in my room as well. What product can I use that will rectify this problem? Please advise where it can be purchased and/or ordered. Thanks, please hurry.

Croffort

Answers:

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Arm and Hammer baking soda is what I use and it usually takes out any unpleasant odors from the fridge and freezer. Just set an opened box inside and you will smell the difference in a day or two. (01/02/2009)

By Natalie

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

This happened to my grandpa on his farm and we cleaned it and used a bag of charcoal spread around to absorb the odors and that freezer is still on the go. Hope it works for you. (01/02/2009)

By nana_katie

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

I had the same terrible experience. Place a bag of kitty litter inside. Worked for me. Good luck! (01/02/2009)

By Sandy

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Litter works well and so does vinegar, about 6 cups water and a cup of vinegar and wipe it all out. I hope you were able to get that smell out. :) (01/03/2009)

By Heather

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

I had a friend who was quartermaster for the base on Guantanamo back in the early 80s. Occasionally, they would get a refrigerator "container" (as in the back of an 18-wheeler) that lost refrigeration in transit and the meat would be spoiled. They would take the meat out to sea, then steam clean the container. After that, they would open several 3-lb. cans of coffee (grounds) and spread that in the container. Afterward, they would close it up and leave it for a few days without opening it. Worked like a charm.

Pour some unused coffee grounds into a flat dish and place the dish in your freezer and close it up for a few days. If your room also has an odor, leave several dishes out. You can use the cheapest coffee you can find. I have also used this trick in a vehicle that carried fertilizer (the "natural" kind). Only took about a day, there.

Good luck. (01/03/2009)

By Jilson

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Place charcoal briquettes (4-5) in a bowl and place in your freezer. You will notice a big difference! They will last a month or so. (01/08/2009)

By Booklady2228

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Try putting lots of newspaper in the freezer and leave it there for a while. (01/08/2009)