Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

How do I get the smell of rotten meat out of the freezer?

By MillieD from Toledo

Answers:

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

I'd wash the whole freezer out with straight vinegar (any kind) or vinegar mixed with baking soda, and hope the smell didn't get into the condenser! (07/30/2009)

By Cyinda

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

If this is a refrigerator/freezer, the freezer's bottom and back will have to be removed using screws. This should expose any area that was hiding germs. Clean and rinse well. Screw in the freezer's clean bottom and back. This should take care of the problem. Also check out the rubber trim. (07/30/2009)

By lbrady

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

I worked for a real estate investor for years, and that my friend is the hardest thing to do. You can spray Febreze all in the freezer but it's down in the coils and if you spray through the blower vent you risk shorting out the entire freezer (did that once). You can spray a lot and should turn it off and leave it off if you spray down in there until it dries completely.

Before you do any of this spraying, there is another product industrial strength called Odoban, I'm not sure where to get it, google it. It's 10 times stronger than Febreze but same ingredient. These products do work. It is not a masking agent. Thoroughly clean it with bleach. Sometimes spilled blood can run down under a drawer and cause the smell. Also, use baking soda in the fridge when you get done and turn it back on. Good luck. (08/01/2009)

By Katie55

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Odoban and Febreze. They are not masking agents. (08/01/2009)

By KATIE55

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

You can buy the Odoban at Sam's Club. (08/02/2009)

By scmajbs6

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

I've tried all the things listed before when moving into apartments, and none of them worked that well. Last month in well over 100 degree heat (I live in the desert in Tucson, AZ) and while it was humid, my freezer in the garage was left ajar with pork, a turkey, and chicken in it. The turkey exploded all over the interior.

After chucking the food, the stench was incredible. I sprayed the interior with KOE (Kennel Odor Eliminator) and left it without wiping it down because my stomach couldn't take any more. The next morning the smell was mostly gone. I sprayed it again and was able to wipe it out as long as I didn't look at it. I sprayed it one more time, left it open to dry and the smell was completely gone. (08/02/2009)

By Chiismychi

Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

Buy some charcoal briquettes (like Kingsford) and place a couple of bowls in the freezer, they will absorb the odor. (08/14/2009)

By PICO

Contents of a freezer compartment from a refrigerator with the freezer on top
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors from a Freezer
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
🎄