Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

We had a cooler with fresh fish and ice in the back of the car. The cooler tipped over and some of the melted ice must have spilled on the carpet. Now the car reeks of rotting fish. Can anyone help me get the odor out of the carpet?

RuidosoRealtor from Ruidoso, NM

Answers:

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

If the carpet the fishy ice spilled on isn't still wet or damp, dampen it with water and spread fresh, unused coffee grounds over the spill spot; let sit for at least 8 hours and then vacuum up the grounds. If that doesn't work, try buying an inexpensive, 3-pound can of coffee, opening it up and leaving it sitting open in the car with all the car's windows closed for at least 8 hours. Good luck.(02/03/2007)

By Lynn from CA

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

There is a product called Simple Solution you can buy at Pet's Mart and also on line. This is the best stuff since sliced bread. It is an enzyme that will eat away all the organic matter (smelly stuff) without damaging carpet, upholstery, etc. Don Aslett recommends SS in his books. I am certain this will take care of the problem 100%. Caution: don't use soap or similar prior to SS for best results. (02/03/2007)

By uncertainid

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

My dad used to work for a used car place, they use Febreze for Auto. He swears by it for everything, but you must make sure it's the "for Auto" kind. It's not cheap, but it beats the smell problem. (02/03/2007)

By dollar out of a dime

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

Another enzyme cleaner/odor destroyer is Natures Miracle. It works great. We've used it for dogs, kids, anything organic. You have to wait until it dries before the odor is completely gone. Love the stuff. (02/04/2007)

By Katrina

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

This smell may be coming from damp or mildewy carpet as well. I had a leak in my trunk and every time it rained it would get wet and then my whole car would smell fishy. I finally found out the problem and had to remove the carpet. Laid it out in the sun and opened the car doors on a nice sunny afternoon and let it air out and dry out. Smell gone. Maybe your carpet is still wet under there and has started to grow mold. (09/06/2008)

Rotting Fish Smell in a Car

Best I've used is cheap and highly effective. Ordinary plain vinegar half and half with water in a spray bottle. Saturate vehicle carpet and leave overnight. Fish odor is a base element so soda will not act as a neutralizing agent. Vinegar or lemon juice will. (09/29/2008)

By Gus

Removing Rotten Seafood Odors From a  Car
Removing Rotten Seafood Odors From a Car
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
🎄