Ruby Tuesday's Mashed Cauliflower

I'm looking for the "copycat" recipe for the delicious mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes) from Ruby Tuesdays. It is the best -- you don't even know you're eating cauliflower!

Thanks!
Mary from SC

Answers:
-- 07/23/2004
Vicki (Guest Post)
Ruby Tuesday's Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients

• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Description

1. Divide a head of cauliflower into florets that are all roughly the same size. Steam cauliflower pieces over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain the cauliflower and toss it in a bowl of ice water to bring the cooking process to a screeching halt.

2. When the cauliflower has cooled, put the florets in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of water. Puree the cauliflower on high speed until smooth, but with some very small pieces of cauliflower remaining in the mix for just a bit of texture.

3. Pour all of the pureed cauliflower into a medium sauce pan. Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and add the solution to the cauliflower.

4. Add the cream, salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the cauliflower and stir. Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick.
Makes three 3/4-cup servings.

-- 12/07/2004
Ann (Guest Post)
Are you really supposed to put the sugar in this recipe? It isn't mentioned in step 4, (or any of the other steps), and it doesn't seem like it would taste good in this.
-- 12/07/2004
Post by Thrifty_Fun
I think like it would be fine either way. I'd add the sugar when you add the cream and the rest of the ingredients. It isn't a lot of sugar so it would just sweeten the sauce slightly.
Susan from ThriftyFun
-- 12/30/2004
Post by handholder
I think this needs a really large head of cauliflower as I had to cook it over a half hour to thicken. Wonder if cutting down on the water would help.
-- 01/11/2005
(Guest Post)
I've got a better recipe:

Mash together a cooked or steamed head of cauliflower, 1 or so cups of mozzarella, 1/2 or so cups of parm and 1/4 c. heavy cream, 4 oz of cream cheese, and then put it in the food processor. Put this in a casserole dish and top with lots of parm and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour to 45 min. Much better than Ruby's and low carb too. It turns out thick and creamy and better than mashed potatoes.

-- 01/24/2005
Carol (Guest Post)
Spoke with staff of RT in Vero Fl. They indicate that the Cauliflower comes from a box and is not made from scratch. I am inclined to agree given the consistency of theirs. Any comments?
-- 02/08/2005
Guest (Guest Post)
I am doing the LA Weight loss, so I wanted to make sure Ruby's mashed cauliflower was really good for you. I called them, they sell it in a bag, it has 160 cal., 10 grams of fat (that's why they taste so good), 530 mg. of sodium, 30 grams of carbs, and 2 g. of fiber, I got this over the phone from the manager there. It doesn't sound that low-cal, or low-carb to me, you can mix the cooked cauliflower with 2 tbs.. of fat free sour cream or fat free cream cheese, morton light salt, and a few sprays of "i can't believe it's not butter and put in the the food processor, it's pretty good, no fat and low carb. Enjoy!
-- 06/01/2005
(Guest Post)
I am surprised that this mashed cauliflower has the heavy cream and sugar in it. I would have never guessed. I love to get it when I go to RT but I also thought it was "really healthy". Surprise!

-- 06/04/2005
Anon (Guest Post)
I work at Ruby Tuesday, and I must tell you, that the recipe is way off. The recipe is low carb--not low fat, and it does not include sugar. Sorry.
-- 06/30/2005
ROTT (Guest Post)
I also work at RT
I'm a shift leader and I can tell u this, that recipe is not right and I cant tell u exactly what goes in the scratch recipe because it's against policy however I can tell u that there is no sugar or heavy cream in it.

Also almost all RT's buy their mashed cauliflower and sauces pre-made from RT. Rt is a huge corp. and supplies almost all their franchise and corporate stores with everything they need.

It's all about consistency

-- 10/07/2005
Kate (Guest Post)
I use the South Beach Diet recipe for South Beach Mashed Potatoes (which is cauliflower) however I modify it by cooking the cauliflower in low fat chicken broth and flavoring it with I can't believe it's not butter garlic and herb spray. Absolutely delicious!

Ruby Tuesday's Mashed Cauliflower
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Freezing Cauliflower
Freezing Cauliflower
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Veggie Mash
Cauliflower Mashed Potato Recipes
🎄