Rural Work at Home Ideas

Category Employment
Man Working at Home
Working from home may be just the employment option to fit your current needs. However, if you live in a rural area there may be challenges in addition to getting the support of your employer or finding a legitimate work from home company. This is a guide about rural work at home ideas.

I need unique ideas on how I can earn extra income from home. I live so far out in the country that I have been unable to get any babysitting, tutoring, sewing, or mending clients. I have 3 young children that I can't leave home alone, so working in town is not an option - childcare would cost more than I would earn.

Since I am out in the country, DSL and wireless don't work here, so any work from home ideas that require a fast connection are out. Plus, this small telephone companies lines are full, so I can not get a 2nd line into the house either.
I have a daughter with health issues and home school as a result. So, working from home is about my only option.

Any ideas?

Whew! Honey, it sounds like you already have your hands full as it is. Raising three young children is working from home! That is your priority; raising your children.

I have always found that making more money usually resulted in needing more money. For example, once I found a job, then I needed a car, then insurance, then I was spending more money on clothes and make-up, and then I started to spend more on lunches at work, it just went on and on. I found it was cheaper to stay home! I looked into a lot of "work at home" jobs and found that they were mostly scams that wanted me to send money into them before they would even let me know what the "work" really was. I do have a job now, that I work from home; it was advertised in the local newspaper and I work for a very small company that employs only two women. I don't make very much money, but then again, I don't spend much either. No gas money to go to work, no car payments, or car insurance, and no fancy clothes or make up needed, either. But, I am one of the few lucky ones.

I think that you would be better off trying to find ways to cut back on expenses as much as you possibly can. Grow your own vegetables and can and freeze the extra, hang your clothes to dry, make your own laundry detergent, menu plan and shop with a list, use your local library for entertaining the children by borrowing books to read to them. I am sure that many of the Thriftyfun members could share more ideas with you; and, I hope that they will.

Your children are the most important things in your life and your time spent with them is more than any amount of money in the world.

I already do all you have mentioned. I cook and do all our baking from scratch. We have an acre garden, and I can, freeze & dry our food. I also have grape vines and an orchard. The clothes dryer is only used when it rains, and then I try to only do what laundry I have to.

Our only expenses are:

*electric

*rural water (for the house)-animals & gardens use pond & well

*home insurance

*house payment

*telephone with internet ($24 a month total)

*cell phones (a must because everything is long distance, but we have the cheap family plan)

*auto insurance

*farm insurance

*taxes (property and real estate)

*church offering

*daughters copays for meds (some months $120)

*fuel-(for DH to get to work and back, & for farming)

We grow our own meat and eggs also, (we farm) and I manage to feed the entire family for around $250 a month (with using aldi's, rebates from walgreens and the garden).

I don't do the walmart thing but maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Nearest walmart is 40 minutes away. I do hit walgreens about every 2 weeks and use the rebates and coupons to basically get our toothpaste, shampoo and a few other items free. I use the dollar general stores, aldis, and we get most clothing as hand me downs from my older daughters who are on their own now, or the thrift store (clothing there is 25 cents on Wednesdays)

Our biggest expense is probably our insurances-but we have to have those. We don't rent movies, only have the educational channels on the dish (for home school use, for under $10 a month). We don't eat out. The A/C is not on unless it hits over 100 outside and is humid, we burn wood during the winter. Our pool is the stock tank or a pond, our entertainment is fishing in the back pond or a visit to the park, playing volleyball in the yard or camping at the other farm.

We could drop the internet and dish, but we need those for home schooling. We do not have a library here (our county keeps voting it down) and is $20 per person per year to have checkout priviledges at the one the next county over (plus the fuel to get there)

I do have a "work at home" job that is awesome. I work around my family's schedule, and I would love to share the details with you, please contact me at www.workathomeunited.com/AshleyL. Have a great day!

I know you don't have a fast connection but have you thought about selling stuff online on ebay or selling craft items? Another idea is to raise farm type animals for profit. I am not sure how much money it would require to start out or for feed and upkeep but it is just an idea. I hope you find something!

If you are already growing vegetables you might consider growing extra to sell. If you have a lot of land maybe put an ad in the paper and charge hunters to hunt on your land.

I will soon be moving to a location that is deep in a canyon and about 30 miles from the nearest town. It's over 80 miles to a town that would have employment that could be considered substantial. I would like to do something at home. Maybe medical billing, ebay, or whatever is available. How do I cut through the scams, mlm, and home party plans to find information to help me locate something that could earn a little income. It doesn't have to be much, 150-200 per week? Not, that more wouldn't be nice, just trying to be realistic.

Green Wasabi from Oregon

Here is a link my mom sent me: http://www.alpi  ernal/index.html THey were featured on Good Morning America last week. It is customer service positions for big name companies on-line. The biggest requirements are High speed internet with capability of being on phone at same time, and a quiet place to work for 4-5 hours. My kids can't be guaranteed for that! I hope that this helps!

The best thing that has helped me to grow my business is going to a ladies business networking group. I wish I had started one and planned on doing it but I found one listed in the newspaper and began attending on Thursday mornings. It is a laid back group and sometimes we just have a few women but we have a topic every week and we showcase our business or just a product each week. We meet at FitnessSpa. The owner immediately signed up with my company to get out of debt. She is paying $3100 per month in rent and only bringing in $900 net. Anyway, that jump started my business. I guess they figure if the one who started the group thought my business was worth it they could use my service as well. They have sent me family and friends too. Also, one of the ladies has her own website about our county. She was so impressed about my presentation that she put my own blog on her site. I talk about getting out of debt and frugal living tips. Everyone seems to enjoy the tips and I don't have to sell myself much. Check out my blog on www.FayetteForum.com and look on the right side under Brenda Ludecke-Money Mastery. I also decided to sell Avon again since I never could find an Avon lady since I quit a few years ago. Again I had a great response from all of them, telling me they didn't know of any Avon ladies. And again the owner of Fayette Forum wanted to put a free ad. on her site for my Avon. That is not up and running yet. I just wanted you to know what worked for me and you are welcome to pass this along if you like. I also wear my badge wherever I go and get several people who ask me what it's about. I try to keep brochures handy so they can take it home and read through it. I bet that would work for you. You could make your own brochure in color and take it to Staples or Office Depot when they have their 39 cent color sale and have them made up to hand out. I also put business cards in car windows as I pass them when I stop somewhere. Just one or two in passing. No big deal, free advertising.

No More Mortgage

Tired of a mortgage payment, car payments and credit-card debt?

(you don't have to live that way anymore)

http://www.NoDebt4U.org

Blog:

http://fayettef  oneymastery.html

Currently I'm in this online business, it's very affordable with a low start up cost (only $5) and no monthly recurring charges. Go to http://www.easymoneymines.com for more details.

Regards,

Jack