Rust Stains in the Bathtub

How do you remove rust stains from a bathtub?

dixie35481 from Alabama

Answers:

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

As far as I am concerned it depends on what your bathtub is made out of. For my metal tub I really like to use CLR in the yellow spray bottle, which I purchase at Walmart. But my tub surround is fiberglass and the CLR doesn't really do the trick for that.

For the tub surround I use something in a purple bottle with a green top. It is called Kabam or Kazoom, or something like that. If you look for the see through bright purple bottle with a green top you found it. I buy it at Walmart. If you have a big build up, it will take more than one application and some scrubbing. Once you actually get it cleaned, if you just spray it on and wait a minute you can wipe with a sponge and rinse.

Good Luck (03/29/2006)

By dpcw

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

Did you try Bleach? I would open a window and pour the Bleach wherever the rust is and let it sit. When it's done, hose it down with your shower. (03/29/2006)

By JILLSAVES

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

There is no better product than Wink rust remover. It makes the rust disappear right before your eyes. I use it all the time and recommend it highly! (03/29/2006)

By Robin

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

If it is enamel or porcelain, try using a pumice bar. I have an area around the sink overflow that gets rusty and the pumice bar takes it right off. (03/29/2006)

By Katie A.

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

I use Clorox Cleanup. It's great for tubs and sinks and is non-abrasive. (03/30/2006)

By Claudia- MD

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

I know this sounds a little crazy, but it works. It's called "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. We have well water and it has a lot of iron in it. I just squirt The Works on it and let it sit for a minute and it wipes right out. I live in a mobile home so I have fiberglass sinks and tubs and it has never damaged them. Make sure it is the toilet bowl cleaner though. They make another product for soap scum and lime scale, but it doesn't work for rust. Good Luck! (03/30/2006)

By nana6x

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

Hi,
If you live in the states there is a cleanser called ZUD, it is in a container like Comet Cleanser. We can't get it in Canada anymore, but my friend got me some in the states. Works really good and fast. (03/30/2006)

By sandy

Rust Stains in the Bathtub

As Nana6x said, The Works, works very well. My conditions are like hers. I've left the stuff on over-night w/o problems.

Another idea, when you have the time. Use a fine/small grain of sandpaper; used it when I was out of the former and wasn't going into town anytime soon. The rust build up can be so thick but I've not seen any 'wearing' on the fiberglass tub. It does a fine job; also works on stainless steel kitchen sinks. (05/11/2009)

By gator10tx

Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🎄