Rusted Garden Tools

I read somewhere that you can clean and store garden and other tools that rust by putting them in a pail containing sand and motor oil. Does anyone know the ratio of oil to sand? What kind of oil to use and/or where I can find this information. Please and thank you.

Elizabeth from London, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Rusted Garden Tools

Your answer can be found in this post on Thriftyfun.com site:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf82991260.tip.html - Keep Garden Tools in Oiled Sand (09/10/2008)

By Sherri

Rusted Garden Tools

I don't think that it much matters as to the ratio. I expect that it is a thin motor oil that is used in the sand. I would get a can of thin motor oil and just dump it into the bucket of sand, give it a stir with a stick. (09/10/2008)

By louel53

Rusted Garden Tools

I recycled motor oil from a oil change into a 5 gallon bucket along with the cat litter that was used to clean up any oil spills. It's about one large bag cat litter to less than one quart of oil. Enough oil so that the cat litter looks dark and the tools are not dripping with oil. I keep my tool in the bucket when I store them. I clean them with rubbing alcohol when I go to use them.
Happy Gardening.
Denise (09/11/2008)

By sewingseeker