Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Plastic is everywhere. We eat from it, drink from it, build with it, and our children play with toys made from it. Some of us even wear it. Unfortunately, the production, use, and disposal of plastics are all fraught with serious health and environmental consequences.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
My husband takes the honey in the plastic bear and microwaves the whole plastic container every time he wants to use a little honey. Is this healthy or safe to microwave it so often in this plastic container?
A lot of people are saying that it isn't safe to microwave plastic. It is fine. You see, plastic is made from petroleum based sources. Over time, it out-gasses, making it brittle. The gasses that it releases aren't the greatest, but they are going to be released whether or not you microwave them. Microwaving it won't hurt anymore than leaving the honey in the container. It would take a very very very long time for it to have a negative effects.
I am guilty of doing this myself. Never thought about safety issues of microwaving the plastic. My problem was that the plastic bottle got too warm and went out of shape--it listed to one side and the bottom was no longer flat--it wouldn't stand upright.
Problem solved--I transferred the honey to an empty glass jelly jar. No more worries about the plastic container. Do the same thing and your husband can microwave all he likes.
Certain plastics are indeed carcinogenic when heated in the microwave so you probably should find out what kind of plastic container the honey is in and do a little research about it.
My other thought is that heating and reheating is 'cooking' the honey over and over again and is probably depleting the honey of nutritional value.
Might be best to just transfer the honey in to a large mouth glass jar and scoop out with a spoon.
If you have the plastic that is hard/brittle, misshapen, you have the kind of plastic advised NOT to do this with. If the plastic stays soft and pliable, it is safer. Again, to keep using the microwave, just jar it. Infact, find a bee keeper and get it FRESH. A whole different favor. By the time you buy it in the store it has been so filtered that the flavor from each 'capture of pollen' has gone elsewhere. I have even gotten it from the beekeeper to strain and sort royal jelly, etc. Talk about learning experience and flavor! I buy about 25 lbs a year for family use, cooking, etc. And plain old stick your finger in the jar.
One more info about plastic. There was the recall on certain plastics containing the chemicals that are harmful. As with anything, there are different kinds of plastic. Even baby bottle of certain kinds were found to contain the harmful chemicals.
I myself would think that just squirting out a portion into a glass measuring cup and then microwaving would be better. That's what I do with pure maple syrup on pancake morning. I buy it in a fairly large container that stays in the frig. I just pour some into my small pyrex measuring cup and heat that way. I don't put plastic in the microwave anymore if I can help it. I don't think it's good for the food or the plastic container. Also I would wonder if heating and reheating the whole bottle of honey over and over is good for the honey....not sure about that but why would he need to heat all of it each time?
Pour the honey into a glass syrup or vinegar carafe and then the plastic wont be an issue. Reheating honey over and over might cause it to crystallize eventually (like cooking sugar or syrup, I'm guessing) but glass is better all around if you ask me.
I also agree that microwaving that bear container is fine. Of course, if it is melting the container, that is not fine, but more for the mess factor than any other reason.
If the honey has been pasteurized, the reheating in the microwave is not going to make any difference to the honey, except to make it liquid.
If the honey has not been pasteurized, heating might destroy some natural "stuff" in the honey, but I personally wouldn't be overly concerned with this.
If he does it too often or too long he's going to melt your little bear! Believe me,,,my poor little bear died that way.
No, it is toxic. Try plunging bottle in hot water first. Any plastic microwaved is very toxic.
Don't do it! All the research on cancer sites tell you never to microwave anything in plastic as it releases toxins into your food. Only use glass or ceramic/porcelain.
Plastic plus microwave seems like a bad idea to me, we all get enough toxins. I'd put it into a mason jar if it were my honey er guy er both. If you don't have the squeeze thing around then no arguments can ensue. :o)
We purchase water at the grocery store using the large refillable plastic bottles. Is it safe to keep using the same plastic bottle? Thanks.
By Laura from IL