Sausage Soup Recipes

Category Soups
Sausage Soup Recipes
Adding your favorite sausage to homemade soup makes for an even heartier main dish meal. This page contains sausage soup recipes.

Finally feeling like Fall? Now it's time to put away all those cold foods and start making some down home comfort food! This is my sausage soup that I have been making for years, and everyone loves it. It's hearty, warm and cozy! :)

• 1 lb Italian sweet sausage, remove casings
  • 1 medium onion*, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3-4 carrots, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chunk cut
  • 1 red pepper, chunk cut
  • 1 large bag washed spinach
  • 2 cans (14 oz) tomatoes, diced
  • 2-3 cartons (32 oz) chicken broth (for a thinner soup use 3)
  • 2 cups water
  • fresh shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
  • 1/2 cup orzo

*For the chopped veggies, I use a mini food processor.

1. Remove the casings from the sweet Italian sausage. Put it in a large soup pot on med-high. Stir rapidly until the sausage is broken into small pieces and cooked. Add 1/2 cup of the water when the meat is starting to brown.
  2. Add all your chopped and chunked vegetables and stir well. Loosen the darkened pieces from the bottom of the pan for flavor.
  3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes and all seasonings.
  4. Ad
  5. Add remaining water after the soup has been simmering down awhile.
  6. Add spinach and let simmer. Add orzo pasta about 1 hour before serving. If the orzo tends to thicken the soup at the end too much, or
    when heating leftovers, just add water and simmer.
  7. While soup is simmering, prepare a package of Pilsbury Grands flaky biscuits. Top them with a mixture of melted butter (4 Tbsp), a sprinkle of garlic, dried basil and black pepper. Brush this across the top and turn over and brush the bottoms. Bake as directed.
  8. Ad

Top Comment

Sorry about that! 1/2 cup of Orzo pasta. If this thickens your broth too much to your liking, add extra water and simmer. And same thing when reheating leftovers... Thank you for noticing my error.. Have a nice day! You will love this soup! :)

Unlike other squash soups made with apples and other sweet ingredients, this one is savory, full of wonderful fall flavor and hearty enough to keep your family full and happy! This recipe is high in vitamin A and C, and loaded with fiber too!

• 1 lb. bulk sausage, or bratwursts with skins removed
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
  • 1 stick butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, or mix with half-and-half or cream
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. white pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Directions:

Brown sausage and onion in skillet, drain and set aside.

While sausage is cooking, place cubed squash in an extra-large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain about half the water, leaving 2-3 cups of liquid in the pot with the squash. You can save the drained liquid and use as a vegetable broth for another recipe later.

Using a potato masher, or a hand-puree device, lightly mash the squash cubes. Do not completely puree. Add in butter, milk, spices, and sausage/onions. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often so it doesn't stick.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes

Source: I ate a similar soup at a fall festival and recreated it in my kitchen!

By Susabelle from Longmont, CO

I am on a sodium restricted diet, but I refuse to give up foods I like, such as Italian sausage. I work them into my daily amount of sodium allowed, as with this soup.

• 1 link Italian sausage, mild
  • 1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
  • 1 potato, approximately 3 oz., diced (peeling optional)
  • 1 large white button mushroom, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped peppers, any color or mixed
  • 1/2 cup celery hearts, chopped
  • water

Directions:

1. Remove casing from sausage.
  2. Cut sausage in half, then each piece in half, repeat so that you have 8 pieces.
  3. Roll each piece into a ball and put in medium saucepan.
  4. Add can of tomatoes, breaking up the tomatoes.
  5. Add the rest of veggies.
  6. Add enough water to cover the veggies.
  7. Cover pan and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
  8. When done, put 4 sausages each into two bowls. Divide rest of soup between the bowls.

The sausage has 700 mg sodium, the can of tomatoes has 945 mg, totaling 1645 mg. The two bowls have 822 mg in each one, giving me soup for two meals. 822 mg is 2/5 of my daily amount, leaving me approximately 1200 mg for rest of day. I add some fruit to meal for dessert.

Servings: 2 portions
Prep Time: 15 - 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Linda from Bloomngton, IL

Cut sausage diagonally into 1 inch pieces. Brown on both sides in skillet; drain off fat. Place broth in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, green pepper, mushrooms, and potatoes.

Brown sausage, onion, green pepper and celery. Drain any fat. Pour chicken broth, and vegetables into a soup pot and spoon in browned sausage and vegetables. Add additional water if needed to increase liquid level.